LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Here?s an interesting looking Tokai on eBay (#2374774831)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2374774831&category=2384

Ian.

Hi Oldflame,

Yeah, the seller?s in Korea, is that dodgy :roll: ? The guitar is a 1984 Jap model though, and you don?t see many models over LS100 for sale. Would that flamed top be a solid cap, or veneer/laminate do you think? Wonder if the double ring tuners are original (I?ve never seen them on anything after 1980 or 81); Barry, do you see those :eek: ?

Ian.

White switch tip in 1st photo appears aged brown in the other photos? Grain matching is excellect between the two halves though.

Ian.

Ah,?. so it?s beginning to look like this ?LS150? is a bit of a Dogs Breakfast, with various replacement parts? You know, I?d never noticed that about the tuning posts on Love Rocks before; they should just have a simple retaining ring (not hex nuts), right :-? ? And ?wrong frets for an LS-150? ? do you mean the edge binding (or lack of it), or do the frets themselves have the wrong shape/profile :roll: ?

Ian.

I was chatting about these issues with another member yesterday.

The trouble is, unless you get a good look inside those pickup cavities then you're never going to be sure what it is. Additionally, it's so hard to tell from any ebay picture if the guitar is a 1 piece body. A lot of sellers state that it's one piece this and solid top that but I think half of them haven't got a clue.

There are only a hand full of regular traders on ebay who would know and I think that those are the guys who should be showing us this kind of detail.

I would suggest that most dealers know about this site so they could easily ask questions here about what to look for and how to show it on an auction. It would save them loads of time replying to emails from the likes of us about one piece this and solid top that issues?

Hi Lee,

Well yeah, they could ask questions here, if they were so inclined! But I guess many sellers would rather gloss over any uncomfortable details, :-? ! But even if you look in the Pup cavity you may still be non the wise (ie even for Love Rocks). On the strats & teles I get the impression that we?re still entirely in the dark re ?a=b? numbers?

Yeah, I wouldn?t take any notice of claims about ?one piece back/top? etc. But from asking questions like this we all learn something; eh?.well I learned some things at least :-? !

Ian.

I know this isn't a Tokai but this is the kind of detail ebay should be demanding. We're not talking $10.000 guitar here either.

Check out the pot pics! Well done Texastoneking :D :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375067747&category=47073

Hi Lee,

Oh yeah, a set of photo?s like that would certainly give me more confidence (funny enough, I already looked at the two Tele?s from that guy). But in complete contrast, it amazes me that many advertisers expect to sell $1000 guitars with just one fuzzy long-range shot of the guitar propped up on their sofa! But they do sell em!

In the end I guess too many buyers are also unreasonable (or worse), so things just get reduced to what the average buyer deserves. But the more info we exchange on this forum (thanks guys), the more it will drive up standards for everyone :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back