Ls1000 owners chime in

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep i ve noticed it.

In general i have yet to see something like an LS230 which is IIRC AAA flametop, with the exception of 2 lefthanded VF models and the righthanded model that badger got.

Lefty Blues said:
And now for something completely different: what do you think of the stock pickups of the LS-1000? They come with Gotoh Custom Vintage PAFs. Are they okay for the ones who already own a LS-1000?

To me they sound good. I cranked my amp at rehearsal last night and was quite satisfied with the resulting tone. It sounded superb - clean or dirty and in all positions.

Still I will be replacing them with bareknuckles - a stormy monday and a mule (once I have some spare cash). Just because I think these will sound even better - not because the gotoh's are not up to the job.

Badger said:
Lefty Blues said:
And now for something completely different: what do you think of the stock pickups of the LS-1000? They come with Gotoh Custom Vintage PAFs. Are they okay for the ones who already own a LS-1000?

To me they sound good. I cranked my amp at rehearsal last night and was quite satisfied with the resulting tone. It sounded superb - clean or dirty and in all positions.

Still I will be replacing them with bareknuckles - a stormy monday and a mule (once I have some spare cash). Just because I think these will sound even better - not because the gotoh's are not up to the job.

The Bareknuckles are surely a good choice. I am thinking about RS/Lindy Fralin PAFs. You should listen to them here:

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/media/mp3/Greg1.mp3
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/media/mp3/Greg2.mp3
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/media/mp3/Greg3.mp3
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/media/mp3/Greg4.mp3
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/media/mp3/Greg5.mp3

No, it's not me, unfortunately. It is Greg Martin of the Kentucky Headhunters/Mighty Jeremiahs. These PUs seem to offer a nice southern rocky tone.

6 of 20 straight out of the box!

geetar.jpg

...its not as red/orange as it looks in th pic thanks to my craptacular photo skills

...and the top :eek: :D

i'll stick some better pics up when I get a bit more time

Amo, well ordered! It looks as nice as it should be for that price. What do you think about the pickups and the pots?

Amo said:
6 of 20 straight out of the box!
Congrats Arno. This is the first LS1000, what I've seen so far, which I would accept re maple top grade. All others feature only a 2A grade top. Wonder why?
Here a LS150 3A grade top which I sold recently.

pict4279largebb4.jpg

pict4276largezc8.jpg

Congrats, guys ... great looking guitars ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm suffering from GAS ... but it's impossible to realize due to my bank account ... :( :( :( :(

Roger

Lefty Blues said:
The Bareknuckles are surely a good choice. I am thinking about RS/Lindy Fralin PAFs.

Lefty,

I once had the Lindy Fralins in an Epi LPC ... I thought it would be the best tone - until I gave Kloppmanns a try ... also Bareknuckles ... and I decided to forget the Fralins ...
If your guitar provides a bright sound - go for Fralins ... but if not you'll be more happy with BN or Kloppmanns or WCR ... 8) 8) 8)

... I'm sure you will ... :wink: :wink:

Roger

tudor said:
Lefty Blues said:
The Bareknuckles are surely a good choice. I am thinking about RS/Lindy Fralin PAFs.

Lefty,

I once had the Lindy Fralins in an Epi LPC ... I thought it would be the best tone - until I gave Kloppmanns a try ... also Bareknuckles ... and I decided to forget the Fralins ...
If your guitar provides a bright sound - go for Fralins ... but if not you'll be more happy with BN or Kloppmanns or WCR ... 8) 8) 8)

... I'm sure you will ... :wink: :wink:

Roger

Roger,

I agree generally, but these are not the usual Fralin PAFs. This RS Guitarworks/Lindy Fralin cooperation is more mismatched and provide more highs, almost like a P-90. Bareknuckles and WCR could be interesting, the price for Kloppmanns is obscene. Which Bareknuckles or WCR would you recommend for which style?

Heiko

+1 for WCR p'ups.

I pulled a very nice set of Fralins OUT of my LS-150 & put in a set of WCR 'Darkbursts" - tonal heaven!

( - but I left IN the full RS Guitarworks wiring, capacitors etc. that Roy at RS had fitted, that also makes a difference).

Which Bareknuckles or WCR would you recommend for which style?

I gig regularly in several bands & play rock, pop, blues, rock'n'roll, even occasional bit of soul, funk & swing...

Playing in several different bands & with different male & female vocalists it's interesting in that I get to do loads of different styles from earlier stuff like Free, ZZ Top, early Queen etc., right through to very recent - Maroon 5, Green Day, Franz Ferdinand, Kelly Clarkson plus original stuff too, and with the Darkbursts in my LS-150 and WCR SR sets in my ST-60 & ST-80 I can cover everything very authentically - I really do try to get very close to the original tone & feel when we do covers - & the WCR p'ups really deliver the goodies, in spades. 8)

No.2 and numerous others are still for sale at Coda.
I thought they'd go like hot cakes.

And Coda must have thought they'd go like hot cakes also for the large number of them they had and still have.

but how much publicity did these guitars actually get? did anyone see a preview or review in one of the top magazines? i saw a couple on ebay, and but for coda i havent seen them anywhere else.

i bought one from coda by the way last month, number 10 of 20, a VF lefty. i agree with a previous post it did feel like christmas for a lefty to get a 'les paul' of this quality instantly and at a fair price.

id have to say im very happy with it, i have a gibson les paul studio and it beats it hands down for looks (easily), sound and playabililty. i managed to get one which actually had a good flame top, and i prefer the pick ups on the tokai also. my first post by the way, hello all. :D

vflh10.jpg

here is coda's stock picture of my ls1000, i almost went for number 2 just because it was number 2 but then decided this had a nicer finish and 10 is a nice number!

Back