LS Tailpiece?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryptozoo

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to get thoughts on topwrapping your LS tailpiece as opposed to the normal method. Does it really make that much of a tonal difference? I've noticed most of the real LP bursts I've seen didn't seem to use the topwrap method.

I did it on my (former) LS150 and my Eddie ... :-?

The bendings seem to be a little bit easier ... but the overall result wasn't that stunning - so there's no need to waste a set of wires ... 8)
I've returned to the traditional style ... :wink:

Roger

I tried it on one of my Burny RLG 'Super Grade' Models, some time ago

It made for easier string bends ala slinkier strings but it lost a bit of clearity & sustain

Most I have heard from on the matter are not really impressed, myself included

It was good enough for Duane so it's good enough for me. Several of my Lesters are strung this way. Yep, it's easier to play and I don't hear a tone difference in comparing a regular strung tail. Plus, you get to screw the tail right down to the wood where as on a regular strung some tails get raised.

Incidentally, a light weight tail will always sound better than a heavy weight tail.

One other thing you all forgot about was the fact that it creates structually less stress on the bridge than the regular way of stringing up. Lots of old ABR-1 bridges were prone to collapse due to the pressure and the higher break angle. Gibson beefed up the bridge to that ugly looking thing that found its way on their 70's guitars. **** awful looking lump.

Anyone had a Tokai bridge collapse?

Latest posts

Back