LS-320 Arrives

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Willie Style said:
Ha, sounds like my '02 ES-120 which came from the factory with one tone pot completely unwired. As the tech who fixed it said, "This is one of the nicest guitars I've seen, with one of the worst wiring jobs I've seen."
:eek:
Jason

Hi Jason!

In my case is not a mistake, it is an odd les paul wiring style, this one;

http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_hh3t22_01

that's how it came from the Tokai factory. I know that Gibson has wired les pauls like this one but I can't remember now what was the benefit.

ted said:
Some different wiring diagrams.

I can't see how anyone of these is "better". I normally use modern wiring with independent volume controls and find it ok.

http://dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/

I think there is no "better" one. I prefer the 50s wiring because I like a lot to blend the two pickups using just the volume pots.

The modern / vintage wiring mainly effects the way the tone and volume pots behave together when you turn one of them down. I believe the vintage tends to have less high end as the volume goes down, whereas modern keeps more of it there. If you play everything maxed, I'm not sure you could tell much of a difference.

Congrats on the 320, by the way!!!

tudor said:
Rustyslide said:
the wiring at the tone pots is functionally identical between 50s and "modern"

Don't you realize that on the tone pots the middle slugs are grounded and the caps lead from the outer slug of the tone pot to the middle one of the vol pot ... ?????
So it can't be the same ...

Of course it's the same. Signal goes through the pot to ground. Draw a picture. Goes in one slug, around some length of the resistor (depending on how the pot is set) and then out to ground. Draw it the other way. Goes in one slug, around the same length of the resistor (assuming the pot is set the same) and then out to ground. If the resistance is the same (it's the same pot, in the same position, so yes), and if the input and the output are the same (from cap, to ground, so yes), then it's the same (yes!!).

cryptozoo said:
I believe the vintage tends to have less high end as the volume goes down, whereas modern keeps more of it there.

Other way around. Modern loses treble as you roll down the volume. "50s wiring" makes the controls interactive, though, which is presumably why it was changed.

ganzua said:
In my case is not a mistake, it is an odd les paul wiring style, this one; http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdu_hh3t22_01

Uh, that's the modern wiring... look at the other diagrams posted.

I haven't really had the opportunity to play the LS-320 much, because of the pot/knob issue, and of course work

I attempted to straighten the bent split shafts; as previously stated, one broke & three I got straightened out without them breaking

I need to repair the broken one, and then I will also reinforce the other three; JB Weld is the cure

Once I have the broken shaft properly repaired & the others reinforced, then I will need to find the appropriate sized knobs

I have played the guitar a bit, and I must say it plays too easy. :eek:
I know that sounds odd but it's true; the thing nearly plays itself. 8)

The thing I like the most are the large (tall & wide) frets, which are perfect, and the Brazilian fret board, which is just amazing under the fingers. :D
It almost feels as if it is oozing oil; it's just so silky smooth, fast, and vibratos are done with such ease. 8)

Once I have the pot/knob issue all ironed out, I can then get into some serious evaluations but otherwise it's just not really usable as it is.

had to take the 1980 Greco EGF-1000 out & compare it to the 2000 Tokai LS-320

With the exception of the DiMarzios in the Greco, I must say the Greco holds it's own :eek: and that is with a whole extra one pound of weight :eek: :eek:

neck on the Greco is like a club 8) compared to the neck on the Tokai :(

here is a color comparison; cherry (clown) burst Greco left, VF LS-320 on the right
burstcolorcomparison.jpg

Hi J!

Just make sure that I never find out where you live! :D

You might come up with LS320 count minus one!

Cheers! Just top-flame!
Rup

villager said:
how do your ''best'' burnys compare to the 320 rich?

Honestly, I prefer any one of my Burnys over the LS-320

all of my Burnys give me everything that the LS-320 offers, except they don't cost $3K plus..............

I have said it before & I will always say it; one does not need to blow the big bucks for the high end stuff, to get high end performance

I have put my money where my mouth is & I stand completely 110% by my claims in the below thread
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9950

I currently have 5 Burnys, and each of them hold their own against the LS-320

The best part is, I spent LESS on the 5 Burnys COMBINED, than I spent on the one LS-320

High end is a joke, IMO............................

"Honestly, I prefer any one of my Burnys over the LS-320 "

It?s your honest opinion and I repect it,but I must not agree,different quality I?m very sorry......Maybe I got very lucky with mine.

Hi!

LS320/380s (or 450 nowadays) are strange beasts. They are still handmade as far as I can tell.

As I also wrote some weeks ago your specific LS320 appears to be modified. The pots and the caps just don't make sense to me.

Did you change pots/caps by now? I have some spare CTS pots and 1962-65 Spragues (.15, 22 and .47) for you to try.

However, I'd also suggest to try one of the newer LS230s, I have one that beats most 320s. If you want to swap please PM me. Pic's below.

Cheers! Rup

3f1730c6.jpg

rgrafend said:
Hi!

LS320/380s (or 450 nowadays) are strange beasts. They are still handmade as far as I can tell.

As I also wrote some weeks ago your specific LS320 appears to be modified. The pots and the caps just don't make sense to me.

Did you change pots/caps by now? I have some spare CTS pots and 1962-65 Spragues (.15, 22 and .47) for you to try.

However, I'd also suggest to try one of the newer LS230s, I have one that beats most 320s. If you want to swap please PM me. Pic's below.

Cheers! Rup

the LS-320 I have is a 2000; don't know if that really means anything as far as LS-320s go

pots (both are coded 9843) & caps are identicle to the LS-320 that TF member Roe purchased from Hisashi so, if one was modified, then I would assume both were modified?

Hisashi/Roe LS-320
LS-320caps.jpg

My LS-320
LS-320cntroute-1.jpg

I haven't changed a thing, except for the knobs that now fit properly :wink:

luis said:
"Honestly, I prefer any one of my Burnys over the LS-320 "

It?s your honest opinion and I repect it,but I must not agree,different quality I?m very sorry......Maybe I got very lucky with mine.

different quality, yes but the results that each instrument offer are quite negligible

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the LS-320 I have, and I'm sure it's a great example

however, when you have something that costs 1/5 or less that offers basically the same performance, build spec doesn't mean a thing

Hi!

I also own a 2000 LS320 which I got from a very nice person in Japan.

But I fully understand your point: it's exactly why Tokai entered this specific market in the first place, sometime in the late 70s.

To copy other's design and make it better. Paying a premium for a clone only makes sense if it is substantially better.

Cheers! Rup

Latest posts

Back