LS-320 Arrives

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi MIJvintage and thanks for the links.

It still does not answer how those caps made their way into an LS320.
Rup

rgrafend said:
Hi MIJvintage and thanks for the links.

It still does not answer how those caps made their way into an LS320.
Rup

Don't know what to tell you on that..........

............mine & the one that Roe has/had look to be extremely close in production time frame so, maybe that's what they were using then, since the caps are the same.......

.........don't know..........

Aren?t LS-320s coming with CTS pots stock?
Are you telling they are not regular CTS?

It seems someone bent them to fit imperial knobs size so my guess is if CTS then metric size.....Am I right?

Ruppert,

Do you feel LS-320 and LS-380 being building fully the same or any subtle difference?

Hi guys, Luis i ws thinking exactly the same thing...
quote<It seems someone bent them to fit imperial knobs size so my guess is if CTS then metric size.....Am I right?

Mick

Hey! MIJvintage, congratulations for the new guitar. I want one!

MIJvintage said:
I would strongly consider having this one 'completely' wired as an original '58-'60 burst

Where can I get a wiring diagram of an original '58-'60 burst? I'd like to take a look

villager said:
les paul forum..

do a search for 59 wiring

Hi!

No luck, I can't find the searcher of the les paul forum, it must be hidden for unregistered users and I don't succeed in registering there. I never receive the account confirmation email :cry:

I have wired someguitars and I know the Les Paul standard wiring and one called "vintage". What's different in the 59 wiring?

Nevermind, I've found some links to the les paul forum in a german forum

http://www.guitarworld.de/forum/59-wiring-fuer-gibson-les-paul-t11481.html

I badly understand a single word in german but I think the 59 wiring is this, isn't it?

http://www.lespaulforum.com/amps/lpwiringcomp.html

Despite what the diagrams show, you only have to move the wire on the volume pots - the wiring at the tone pots is functionally identical between 50s and "modern" (which has been used since the early to mid 60s, IIRC).

Could somebody please give a VERY simple explanation of the difference between thses two ways of wiring, and the advantages of each of them? I'm sure I can't be the only one who is baffled by this. Thanks.

Which one does Tokai use on the LRs?

Mike

Rustyslide said:
Despite what the diagrams show, you only have to move the wire on the volume pots - the wiring at the tone pots is functionally identical between 50s and "modern" (which has been used since the early to mid 60s, IIRC).

Yes, that's right. I thought the 59 mod that everybody is talking about was a particular mod only for the 59s and not the same that the one called "vintage". :lol:

stratman323 said:
Could somebody please give a VERY simple explanation of the difference between thses two ways of wiring, and the advantages of each of them? I'm sure I can't be the only one who is baffled by this. Thanks.

Here http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Les_Paul_Assembly_Without_Pic_P1776C185.cfm there is a very good explanation :D They also state that the name "vintage" is wrong because some Les Paul from the fifties were "modern" wired.

stratman323 said:

:lol: My LS85f came from factory with the two volume pots operating as master volume when switched to the middle position. It must be called the "too much sake yesterday" wiring mod.

ganzua said:
Rustyslide said:

Yes, that's right. I thought the 59 mod that everybody is talking about was a particular mod only for the 59s and not the same that the one called "vintage". :lol:

stratman323 said:

Here http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Les_Paul_Assembly_Without_Pic_P1776C185.cfm there is a very good explanation :D They also state that the name "vintage" is wrong because some Les Paul from the fifties were "modern" wired.

stratman323 said:

:lol: My LS85f came from factory with the two volume pots operating as master volume when switched to the middle position. It must be called the "too much sake yesterday" wiring mod.

Ha, sounds like my '02 ES-120 which came from the factory with one tone pot completely unwired. As the tech who fixed it said, "This is one of the nicest guitars I've seen, with one of the worst wiring jobs I've seen."
:eek:
Jason

Rustyslide said:

Don't you realize that on the tone pots the middle slugs are grounded and the caps lead from the outer slug of the tone pot to the middle one of the vol pot ... ????? :-?
So it can't be the same ...
Roger

all of this sounds like a GREAT reason to have folks like these around
http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/guitar.htm

I don't do much messing around with the pots, caps, soldering & the whole bit so...............

OK, I've been trying to get my few remaining brain cells to grasp this LP wiring, and I've established that my LS85S is wired the modern way, which would explain why the tone changes when the volume is reduced. But the vintage way doesn't sound ideal either if

the tone and volume controls are interactive

I wire my Strats with a master tone control, like this:

Stratmastertone.jpg

and I find that it works well. Why isn't it possible to wire a LP in a similar way, so that the volume & tone work independently, but without much tone change when the volume is backed off?

I hope that isn't a very stupid question. :-?

MIJ, is your local guitar shop The Podium? They have some amazing techs. I bought a Collings D-3 from them. Very professional.

Ooops... I see, the shop is Hoffman.

On the pots, also be aware the the "groove count" (knurling) on the shafts varies. Press-on knobs must have grooves that match the knurling on the shaft.

Latest posts

Back