LS-200

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacock72

Reaction score
How does the ebony fretboard affect the tone? Are the differences subtle, compared to rosewood, or is it very easily distinguished?

Slightly brighter. It doesn't seem to bother Gibson LP Custom owners. Pickups etc. make a far bigger difference anyway.

I much prefer the look and feel of ebony. Jet black looks so much better than brown and it feels incredibly slick and smooth under the fingers.

Another Ebony fan here.

easier to clean as well.
tighter grained.
Smooth feel.
Classier looking.

But, make sure to keep any ebony board well lemon oiled.
Ebony seems to expand and contract more with climate changes.
During winter months you may notice the ends of the frets sticking out a slight touch if the board is getting dry. So, be sure to maintain it's moisture contant to keep this reduced. During the summer months it'll expand back to normal. All my Carvins have Ebony boards.
I try to keep them well maintained.

My experience, rosewood doesnt seem to do this as much.
My Fernandes, Schecter, and Diodati dont see to expand and contract as mush.
But, I just like the dark rich look of ebony more.
Though my Diodati indian rosewood board is much darker and rich looking than most rosewood boards I've seen. And the grain is a little tighter than most, but not as tight as ebony.

Kent

I prefer Ebony over rosewood any day. I love it on my LS-200 too. That's the main reason why I like customs too (i hate the weight of customs though :( ).

Dana

Latest posts

Back