Love Rock vs Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Reaction score
I want to buy a Les Paul. The possible models(that means the models, which I can afford) are: a) current Gibson Les Paul Standard; b) current Japan made Love Rock(but not LS-200 or LS-320). Important is that I don`t want a substitute, before buying some better guitar after some time. I need a quality intsrument, which would stay with me for years. What I need is an objective appraisal on these models. Basically, which is a better way to go? And try to be as objective as you can. PS. I can't try and compare these models side by side out myself. That's the reason why I'm asking it from You.

I guess the obvious question is, if you're willing to shell out Gibson money why not consider the 200/320? :-?

Both are far superior to any Standard I've yet tried.

Hi Harry,
there's not not that much difference between a Les Paul and a Love Rock certainly not a grands worth!! :eek:

Why not go for a 200/320? by all accounts they blow Gibbos' out the water! :D (though I've never tried one) :(

The last time I tried outt any Les Paul was a couple of years back.. I think the Peter Frampton LP had just come outt and a store in Clearwater Florida had one of those, a 59 Burst, (This is when I tried one of them big 50's LP necks that I hate..) a couple of other "cheaper" standards, and a Gothic Les Paul.

I didn't try the Frampton. I played the 59 and the nut slots on it wasn't cut low enough so there was wayy too much room between the low E string and the first fret. I try the next "cheaper" Standard and found the same thing. I finally pick up the Gothic which was the cheapest outt of all of them and it played really good. There's no way those first couple of guitars were ever played by anyone before leaving the factory or being set up on the wall.. It was terrible.

I'm a Hamer player.. I own three Hamet Standards and a bunch of others, and the two Standards I bought brand new came outt of the box in tune and ready to go from the factory. **** Gibson!

Outt..
Jeff.

Personally I feel the Tokai Japan models Quality of contruction is easely on par if not better than that or Gibson usa production models.
And the LS200 and 320 is on par with Gibson Historic.

Really the only reason you may want a Gibson production over a mid priced Tokai is if you want a Nitro finish.
Persoinally I feel the new Poly Urethane and Acrylic lacquer finishes are much better than the old ones from years ago.

And I feel Nitro is an outdated finish.
It discolors easy
Crack and chips easy, especially in cold weather.
Sticky feeling to the touch.
Takes a long time to cure.
Can react with other materials.
Can soak up dyes and sweat.
It's only advantage is that it can be applied very thinnly.

But, the newer Poly's and Acrylics can be applied much thinner nowadays than the older ones. Thus, do not have a blanketing effect like the older ones did.
Have a smoother (glassy) feel.
are not sticky feeling.
are much more durable,and wont discolor, crack, or chip as easy.
Acrylic lacquers will age to a yellow like a Nitro lacquers will. But, not as quickly.

Overall I just feel the quality of Japan guitars is easely on par with USA guitars.
Whether its made by
Tokai, Greco, ESP, or other japan factories.

Also, keep an eye out for
Hamer USA Studio
Heritage H150
Dean EVO Premium (Czech made)

These are great guitars as well, and can be found for much less than a Gibson .

Kent

I remember Felipe Nacif wrote a review here in the forum.He told the LS-320 was better than a Gibbo LP Heritage from 80's and better than a LP Standard(from 90's).So.....It is very easy.

Yep, and I'm just coming back from a trip to the US, and I've spent a good time testing the Historic Les Pauls.

And I'll stand behind what I told before: I perfer the 320 to any Historic, any day.
I have 3 LS-320s and, I can tell the the best one, the Cherry, is the best guitar I have EVER played (and I've played a few, I own 27 right now).

The reason I feel the 320 surpass the R9 is because the 320 gets better wood selection, specially the bodies, neck and boards; the 320 has better hardware (paper in oil caps, Seth Lovers) and the finish is better aplied, thus making a better guitar overal.

I'm not making any coments on the LS-200, I never played one. Its probably not on the league of a Historic, but I bet it sounds better than a Standard any day.

Felipe, I own an LS-200 and while I've never played a historic I know several people who have and they all say it's definately up there with the best Gibsons. It's also about the same price as a Standard, so a direct comparision with the mainstream Gibsons would be a bit more fair and closer to Johnny's budget.

I decided against buying an LS320 because 1). the 200 has an ebony fretboard and 2). I'm an incurable tinkerer and most of the 320's selling points would have been modified away :roll:

I'm still doing things to it one year on... :-?

For about 40% the price of a new LP Standard you can get an 80-85 Tokai Love Rock that will blow it out of the water. If you don't like it, just turn around and get every cent of your 5 or 6 hundred dollars back. I doubt you'll end up selling it.

A quality tokai is not a "starter" guitar. If you get a good one, it will be all the les paul you'll ever need. If you get a not so good one (mostly a personal preference thing), just sell it.

JB

Back