Look for information about a Tokai Love Rock LS70 GT of 1981

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ed

Reaction score
Since I found very few information about this guitar, I would like to ask over the forum for more exact specifications (lacquer, wood, etc.).
Is this guitar rather comparable with a LS60 or a LS80 of the same year of construction?

tokai_ls70gt_01.jpg

Thank you!

Big Ed

looks very similar to the LS70GT you will find in this catalogue

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_02.html

At the bottom of the page you will find the spec's

Dave

Oh, I bought it only the other day.
Now I wait impatiently to it with me arrive.
I hope only that the Tokai corresponds to my expectations, since I looked for a very long time for a LS70 GT.

Big Ed

Big Ed said:
Oh, I bought it only the other day.
Now I wait impatiently to it with me arrive.
I hope only that the Tokai corresponds to my expectations, since I looked for a very long time for a LS70 GT.

Big Ed

I'm sure it will live up to expectations, I have three old Tokais, two LS120's and a LS80 and they are all fantastic guitars!! Be sure to let us know what you think when it arrives :D

Beauty!! I located one for a buddy a while ago. I bought it from MIJ. It is a great guitar. Same speck as an LS 80 but a poly fininsh.

The guitar sounds and plays great!!!

Big Ed: I have an '82 version that met up with my recently sold '81 LS-80 goldtop in all features. Others have said that the finish on the LS-70 GT is poly instead of nitro but it appeared to match the '81 LS-80 identically. I have yet to do a test on it. Here's a pic of mine:

JoeTokaiLS-70002a.jpg

JoeTokaiLS-70004a.jpg

here's a very rare all gold (LS75) version, also 1981
http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-Tokai-Love-Rock-All-Gold-56-Reissue-P-90-Rare_W0QQitemZ110324773699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item110324773699&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Just out of interest - if nitro is supposed to be a far better, more luxurious finish than poly... How come most people can't tell them apart without doing an Acetone test? :-?

Goestoeleven said:
Just out of interest - if nitro is supposed to be a far better, more luxurious finish than poly... How come most people can't tell them apart without doing an Acetone test? :-?

Thank you, very much :wink:

I have only four guitars, of about 30, that are finished in nitro/lacquer :roll: and I actually prefer a thin poly finish :D

Goestoeleven said:

To me, thin poly is pretty hard to tell without the test. I have a poly Springy Sound that's finish has really sunken into to pours of the wood much like nitro does.

The bad rap on poly is the ultra thick finishes applied by many.

Goestoeleven said:

Partly because nitro varies quite a bit. My ES130 has nitro on top of poly base coats, & it doesn't really feel like nitro to me. An all nitro finish feels different, well to me it does anyway. If people don't have a nitro finished guitar to compare, they might not understand when they do get one.

But it's when it ages that you really notice the difference, aged nitro feels more organic, more natural. And I can play a nitro finished neck for an hour or so without sweaty hands - I can't do that on a poly finished neck.

I wish I couldn't tell the difference - my guitars would be much cheaper if I was as happy with poly.

Mike

Another supposed advantage of nitro is that the wood underneath can still breathe, this allows the wood to continue to dry out for it's entire life. While I'm not 100% convinced that this really does make a difference, but there is definetely something about an old guitar that you don't get with a new one.

I'm not knocking the Nitro guitars, or calling "Emperor's new clothes" on the Nitro legend, but personally speaking I quite like Poly.

It seems more hard wearing than Nitro, and as I'm not into the "Relic" look I like the fact that my guitars stay looking new for longer.

I think it's personal preference really, although I hear what you're saying about guitars that were basically "Mummified" in Polyester in the 80's when the "Plastic coated" look was in. Can't have helped the sound.

My personal thought is that Nitro was used back in the day because that was all they had. I believe Leo would have been all over Polyester like a rash if it'd been available in the 50's due to its ease of use, its ability to cover and fill blemishes and its easy sanding/finishing.

Goestoeleven - Totaly agree with your statements that Leo would have used poly if it were available, and I'm sure the benefits of nitro are glorified to some extent, PRS only use poly and aren't know for thyeir bad sounding guitars!

But I, along with quite a few other, like the feel and look of nitro though, especially when it's 30 years old. I'm sure when Stratman get's online he'll use it as an excuse to post some pics of his lovely Fullerton Strats! Beautiful guitars, aged to perfection!

I also understand that some people prefer the shiny new look, and poly is undoubtably the better choice for a long-term showroom shine!

Goestoeleven said:
I'm not knocking the Nitro guitars, or calling "Emperor's new clothes" on the Nitro legend, but personally speaking I quite like Poly.

It seems more hard wearing than Nitro, and as I'm not into the "Relic" look I like the fact that my guitars stay looking new for longer.

I think it's personal preference really, although I hear what you're saying about guitars that were basically "Mummified" in Polyester in the 80's when the "Plastic coated" look was in. Can't have helped the sound.

My personal thought is that Nitro was used back in the day because that was all they had. I believe Leo would have been all over Polyester like a rash if it'd been available in the 50's due to its ease of use, its ability to cover and fill blemishes and its easy sanding/finishing.

TRU DAT :) ..................................

Latest posts

Back