LC53 or LC85??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
What do we think about this one guys?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-Custom-LC85S_W0QQitemZ200133524118QQihZ010QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller seems fairly adament that he has an LC85S but given that he states it is made in Korea i just have to say that this is actually a Korean LC53.

I'm sure the old Korean LC53s came in a funky off white colour as well...

what do you reckon?

Would hate for anyone to get duped on it.

It's an LC53, Rich. Three screw truss rod cover and el cheapo bridge with screw adjustment are a dead giveaway. If the daft sod would lift the pups out, he wouldn't find LC85S written in the routs. Also, as it is two years old, it would actually be an LC80S if it was one, not an LC85S. That designation didn't exist then. Plus, for it to be an S, it has to have a solid maple cap, which I can guarantee that hasn't got ;)

This guy has been duped by someone else when he bought it. He's swallowed the crap that somebody has fed him and doesn't want to admit it. Ever heard of the emporers new clothes ? :lol:

Oh yeah - i mean to me it just looks exactly like our old korean LC53s the truss rod and headstock just don't look right to me. Plus he admits to it being a Korean which kind of gives the game away.

I can understand people getting confused with model numbers mind you. Ah well....i just hope people check by here before buying.

All the best anyway.

I still can't keep up with these LR model numbers, it's almost as if Tokai deliberately make it as difficult as possible to identify which model is which. :evil:

It?s not so difficult stratman, you either buy from a reputable seller or ask fot the tag coming with the guitar where it says which model you?re buying...

Luis, OK you have a point. But you can buy a Fender on eBay and be reasonably sure which model you are getting. With Tokais you can't, and that seems like a pretty negligent approach from Tokai.

OK, I know that Fenders are easily faked, necks and bodies can be swapped etc, but that applies to Tokai Fender clones equally. The point I'm making is that Tokai could easily stamp their guitars somewhere with the model number - for some reason best known to Tokai, they don't. :(

The nearest they came to that was putting a cheap and ugly sticker on the necks of Goldies etc with the model number, and that was often removed or wore off.

Hardly the most sensible or convenient place! :lol: What's wrong with the back of the headstock? And what about non-Japanese models?

Hi

Have to say that it seems like a real bain to have to take out the neck pick up out of your brand new guitar to ascertain it's model. This forum is full of photos like that..which when i first came over here i found very strange. I mean, what's wrong with just playing the blinking thing.... and all i saw at first was the guts of guitars hanging out....little did i know at the time all the model number issues....

Anyway - agreed. Back of headstock would be a great location.

Tokai guitars right through the production process are all about construction - marketing is not one of their strongs points at any stage and it's the little bits around the edges that can be frustrating some times - Random hard cases, changing model numbers in line with inflation, random production runs and deliveries, random headstock shapes - some open book, some not - no paperwork comes with the guitars, no warranty cards etc etc.

They have a GREAT product which with a bit of work could be so much more. But at least, thankfully, the guitars are great!

Latest posts

Back