LC180S (LC195S)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny642000

Reaction score
My guitar arrived at the weekend and so here's the first picture of it alongside my LS145S... I thought I'd show my rug as well as that seems to be de rigeur on this forum...

updatemarch2010019.jpg

Specs are:
1 piece back
2 piece maple top
ebony fretboard with MOP inlays
Fret edge binding
Lacquer finish
MKII pick ups
etc

I bought the guitar from Hisashi for a total of ?880 including shipping and import charges (c22%) which in spite of the weakened GBP is still a very good buy in my opinion.

This is a 2006 model which Hisashi rated as 8.7/10. The gold hardware is tarnished, it's got the obligatory minor chip at the top of the headstock and the back has some minor bucklerash and a couple of dings. The top is very clean and the neck, fretboard and frets are almost perfect. So I'd agree with Hisashi's rating.

Packing was excellent and it came in its own Tokai HSC. It's not overly heavy - guestimate would be around the 9lbs mark

I restrung it with my usual Ernie Ball 10s and lowered the action slightly and may do it some more once I've played it in a bit... Neck profile is a shallow D shape with a widish fretboard - wider than my LS95Q but not quite as wide as my LS145S - and is instantly comfortable to play...

I'm actually a fan of the mkIIs which I also have in my LS75Q and in my ES130. I think they're good pickups and suite my style which is 1st generation punk, i.e. Pistols, Clash...and they sound great in this guitar - not overly hot but controlled with good definition on crunchy rhythm and still with good focus on higher gain settings for lead. The neck pickup distorts slightly on clean settings but I just need to lower it to compensate...

Overall, I'm delighted with it and Hisashi was wonderful to deal with. I've always wanted a black custom...now all I need is a white one, a TV yellow junior, lose a stone, fit into white drainpipes, get my doc martens out of the cupboard and the I'm all set for punk heaven...

Cheers,

John.

Yeah, that's great - good price on the top Tokai LP Custom as well.

And, remember, the only good gold hardware is tarnished gold hardware! :D
(I actually don't like shiny hardware in any form but find gold the worst when it's brand new and shiny).

Glad you like the rug, Marcus!

Well, 2 weeks down the line and I am more than pleased with my new purchase - fast becoming a favourite...

Even more so since I saw the price of the Edwards that Richtone are introducing to the UK market:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESP-Edwards-E-LP-92CD-Electric-Guitar-Black-Finish_W0QQitemZ270545274462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3efdc1465e

Ok, mine is 2006 and 2nd hand and this is new but the price for the Edwards plus postage is exactly what I paid for my premium series custom.

I've never played an Edwards but I know they have an extremely good reputation. - the price does seem high though. Richtone are careful to say 'constructed from their various parts in the ESP Tokyo facility'.... I mean for ?70.00 less you could buy the Tokai LC95S which is entirely MIJ

Back