Latest class of '81

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
81Tokais_zps5f42500e.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Top to bottom: LS100 ON; LS100 OR; LS70 GT and LS100 VF

Anyone got a surplus set of covers for early '80s DiMarzio PAFs, worn is OK - fair price paid?

Marcus: Thanks - I had a nice '81 ES100 but just wasn't using it, so I turned it in for the VF, I'd have another for sure, great guitars.

Mojo Pin: You might want to re-think the right arm deal - how you gonna play one when one comes along?

Hi Wishbonz,

The correct model designations are:
LS-100s ON, LS-100s OR, LS-70 GT and LS-100v VF

The 's' signifies a mahogany top, the 'v' has maple top

regards
Peter Mac

wishbonz said:
Anyone got a surplus set of covers for early '80s DiMarzio PAFs, worn is OK - fair price paid?

What is the E to E distance you need?

Nice!!! Bottom one looks like my LS120 but with different p'ups. What do you have in there?

Also, I am looking for DiMarzio PAFs as well. Love those pickups! :wink:

Here is my LS120

Apart from the GT with P90s, they all have their original DiMarzio PAFs - yes they are great pickups - same as fitted to your LS120, I'd have thought?

Peter - Thanks for the correction.

same as fitted to your LS120, I'd have thought?

Sorry, I was thinking the DiMarzio PAFs had 2 of the small holes in the top and not 4. Was confusing them with another pickup.

Beautiful guitars!

Sigmania said:
same as fitted to your LS120, I'd have thought?

Sorry, I was thinking the DiMarzio PAFs had 2 of the small holes in the top and not 4. Was confusing them with another pickup.

Beautiful guitars!

There are actually 3 holes on each bobbin top, though its not obvious from the pic.

There are actually 3 holes on each bobbin top, though its not obvious from the pic.

Thanks. I didn't get enough sleep! :lol:

Any idea what the holes are for?

Sigmania said:

Thanks. I didn't get enough sleep! :lol:

Any idea what the holes are for?

My guess is they are used in the assembly/build of the pick-up, maybe locators to hold the bobbins for the winding process? I expect someone will know.
PS Congrats on your collection, I also have a '79 LS80GT, that was the start of my collection.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Do your different LPs sound different that all have the DMarzio PAFs? Wondering about the wood in the body/neck affecting tone? Looks like you have mahogany and maple tops?

Assuming the pickups are consistent that is.

Sigmania said:
Thanks. That makes sense.

Do your different LPs sound different that all have the DMarzio PAFs? Wondering about the wood in the body/neck affecting tone? Looks like you have mahogany and maple tops?

Assuming the pickups are consistent that is.

Definitely, the mahogany tops have very different tonal characteristics to the maple tops. There are many possibilities for combinations of wood type, weight and densities - not to mention subtle differences in the DM PAFs themselves. I swapped out the DMs in my '79 and '80 LS100s (for early 80s Gibson Tim Shaws and SD Antiquities, respectively) because I didn't like what the DMs were giving me, but they sound great in the '81 LS100V VF for some unknown reason, and also suit the mahogany topped ON and OR. Lets not forget that we all have different ideas of what sounds good, it's purely subjective, no rights or wrongs here!

they sound great in the '81 LS100V VF for some unknown reason

Mine do too in my LS120vVF. Wonder if it's the combination with the maple?

Latest posts

Back