Korean vs. Japanese (Love Rocks)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoustified

Reaction score
I really should apologize for this has probably been done to death, but I couldn't find a similar thread so please bear with me :oops:

I've been an acoustic player for the past several years and I feel it is a good time to own an electric and get to know one. I've been looking at these Love Rocks on Ebay for the past several days and they do look gorgeous . . .

I've always wanted an LP body shape and these seem perfect. Now keep in mind this is the only electric I'll probably purchase for another couple of years so I really need something that will last some amount of playing time.

Question: Are the Japanese models really worth the extra few hundred dollars over the Korean models? I really need opinions on these two guitars . . .

Thanks mucho in advance!

- Acoustified

Hi Acoustified, welcome to the forum :-? .

As you say, the MIJ vs. MIK debate has been beat to death (& beyond) ... do a search, some of it?s quite interesting. For me there?s no issue, because I prefer older guitars, Reborns & Love Rocks pre-85-ish (at which time there were no MIK) ? LS60 from 1981-85 is nice guitar & good value :-? .

Ian.

The main differences....

MIJ - Hundouras mahogany body and one piece mahogany neck. Better quality electronics and excelent craftsmanship. When bought new at least twice the price of a MIK.

MIK - Mahogany body, rock hard Canadian maple neck. Decent electronics for most people and very good quality fit and finish. Affordable.

JSD- do even the lower-end Japanese models (LS70-85) have a Honduras mahogany back? I always thought it was African mahogany.

Hey there ...

I have one of each and they are both very playable and both have excellent qualities. I upgraded the electronics on the MIK one, the alder body and slimmer maple neck were set up fine and so on. MIJ is a different animal, but as to whether it justifies a higher price tag ..? I think so, the difference is quite marked. If you can run to it I'd go for the MIJ simply because of the exceptional build and finish for the price.

:D

Palladin is right.The rest of Tokai could be made of sapele mahogany,indonesian mahogany and african mahogany.I don?t know much about wood,but I checked mahogany in LS-70 and Gibson Standard 50's and It was the same wood to me,or very similar at least,similar grain,similar red colour,2 pieces very well matched in Tokai against 1 piece in Gibson.That's all.

Thanks everyone for their replies.

I think I am going to go ahead and save up a little more for a Japanese model.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back