Korea or Japan?? how to date Tokai J-200 copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a Tokai J-200 Gibson acoustic copy...

the owner says it doesnt have any country or serial # makings...
has a Gibson style, open book headstock...its very acurate teh only thinng that is different that the Gibson is that teh headstock doesnt have any fancy bindings...just a crown inlay and TOKAI in pearl...
Did Tokai make any in Japan?
he wants 600.00 for it is that fair?
thanks GGM

Here's one you would likely get with the opening bid of $489.00 which is about $100-150 more than I've seen them go for. Most sellers of these Tokai acoustics claim they don't know country of origin which is very convenient.
I've owned a couple of the J-45 copies (actually J55 Tokai model) and they were made in Korea, but were nonetheless great guitars for the price. I paid $152.50 US for the first one, cherry finish, and $235.00 US for the other,Sunburst.They had great necksets and sounded very good,the only thing I didn't like about them was the neckwidth, 1 5/8". I would bet the one you're considering is Korean. $600.00 is way too much. Try Mike's Music or SongBird which are accessable through the links on this site.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2502321909

thats the one Im looking at....its been relisted several times...
I tried to get the guy to pay the shipping if I used buy it now but
he wants 40.00 for shipping plus I think he is tring to charge extra for insurance...UPS would probably only charge him 30.00 at the most for shipping and insurance....
I like the guitar since it has the correct headstock but I thought that was a bit high if its a Korean...

Ive seen several new cheaper Tokias with an incorrect headstock but I want one with the open book style Gibson headstock.. and would prefer a Japan, but would settle for a Korean if it was correct....
any suggestions?

Hi
When I purchase my J200 from Mike's Music in Canada, it arrived with a "Made in Korea' sticker on the back of the headstock. That was the only indication of its origin. As far as I can tell, there is no serial number anywhere on the guitar.

My Korean was $358US shipped (no case) from Mike's. It is a very nice guitar with fine build quality. I wrote a brief review of it that's on the forum.

If the Elvis J200 on eBay is the same as mine, they're asking a lot.

If you're looking for bang for the buck, the Korean J200 is hard to beat.

Good luck
CM

Does it have a Gibson headstock?

I sent an email to Mikes asking if he had any with open book headstockstock and never got a reply from him ?

I assume the first Korean made Tokais had teh Gibson head?

Hi Phil
Sorry. I should have answered that question on my last post. My Korean J200 does have the Gibson style open book headstock. The headstock is not bound, though the neck and body are.

Hope this helps
CM

Did I say Phil? I meant Tom. Sorry...

My J200 is only a couple of months old, so I would assume they are still available with the open book headstock.

CM

Tom

Another J200 is up on eBay - natural finish just like mine. No reserve. You might want to check it out.

CM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2504923901&category=2385

Latest posts

Back