Just won a super real eg 1000 custom!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundcreation

Reaction score
And not just the pickup either.....LOL...(see my thread in "other" for the embarrassing details.)

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d92870761

I've been eying this one for weeks now. I almost paid 98000 yen for it a couple of weeks ago. I guess he got desperate when nobody bought at that price cause he dropped the buy it now price to 70000. Waiting saved me 30000 yen! sweet!

I love that type of finish and have been after something like it for ages.

So it looks like an 81 made in December. What do you think my chances are of it having Dry Z's? It's suppose to have them according to the catalog but I've heard in 82 they switched to Dry 82's and there were some 81's that had them to. Transitional period and all.

I know the 1000's aren't as desirable as the 1200's and this one was up for a long time so I'm sure most of you saw it. But I think I got a pretty good deal on it none the less.

Congrats! :D

If those are the original pickups they will be Dry Z. I have an '80 Black Beauty EG1000 with Dry Z, and it is an incredible guitar no doubt.

Be sure to post some pics when she arrives! :D

That's what I was thinking too because of the truss rod cover and the serial is very late 81. So that's why I'm a little nervous about the pickups. But even if they are the dry 82's it's still a good deal I think.

I guess I'm just most happy I didn't have to pay a hundred grand for it. I was literally one "place bid" click away from it a couple weeks ago and backed out at the last second. Good thing.

I kind of wonder though why the 1000's go for SO much less than the 1200's? I mean I've read the stuff on here about that "certain something" they have.....but over 100 000 yen difference?

soundcreation said:
That's what I was thinking too because of the truss rod cover and the serial is very late 81. So that's why I'm a little nervous about the pickups. But even if they are the dry 82's it's still a good deal I think.

Agreed. I bet they're Z's though. I was watching it myself.

soundcreation said:
I kind of wonder though why the 1000's go for SO much less than the 1200's? I mean I've read the stuff on here about that "certain something" they have.....but over 100 000 yen difference?

We'll soon see. I have my first EGF-1200 on the way and you can bet there will be a serious A/B'ing going on. Then who knows... the EG1000C might be for sale... :D

Congrats again!

I did sell a Real Nice 1980 Super Real EGC-1000B (Black) for $2200.00 USD last December, and it had "DRY-Z". It has a different feel than a EGF-1200 and the neck has a volute vs the no volute in the EGF-1200. So you may just have the DRY-2 pups.

CliffsComicWorld said:
I did sell a Real Nice 1980 Super Real EGC-1000B (Black) for $2200.00 USD last December

Good to know Cliff - thanks

20 century boy said:
obviously it's a transitional model as it's from 81.

Actually, it will have a Super Real tenon joint, if it was transitional, it would have mint collection tenon joint. The flower pot inlay was used starting from 1981, and mint collection which started in mid 1982 carried on with them. Yes, there are transition models, but these are more likely to be seen from early 1982. I would like to see a 1981 model with open O mint collection logo, or a 1981 model with a deep tenon joint mint collection joint. Thanks!

if it was transitional, it would have mint collection tenon joint.

Not necessarily so, i have seen early mint collection transitional models with the super real neck and fret binding, fairly rare but they are around.
I'm sure there is a member on here with an early mint collection RR-65 that has the fret edge binding.I was told that left over super real necks were used on early mint collection models. My RR-65 has the Dry 1982 pickups and they are excellent pickups, actually they are the only stock pickups i haven't swapped out for hand wound pickups.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
if it was transitional, it would have mint collection tenon joint.

Not necessarily so, i have seen early mint collection transitional models with the super real neck and fret binding, fairly rare but they are around.
I'm sure there is a member on here with an early mint collection RR-65 that has the fret edge binding.I was told that left over super real necks were used on early mint collection models. My RR-65 has the Dry 1982 pickups and they are excellent pickups, actually they are the only stock pickups i haven't swapped out for hand wound pickups.

Mick

But of course there is no, rule about it, I am saying that a Super Real neck is a Super real neck, and a Mint Collection neck is a mint collection neck, and sometimes in early 1982 there will be models out there that are mixed. The neck joint to me, tells me what is what, then the logo.

greco_burst said:
But of course there is no, rule about it,

Of course, because the transitional models are made because at the the factories they have lines off necks and lines of bodies and at one point the old necks meet the new bodies or opposite. If it was true with Gibson, it's twice more with a company using 2 or 3 factories to supply their demand. Here, at one point they probably runned out of super real custom veeners...

only reason i didnt bid on that was the seller did not answer my question about the pickups...

nice guitar tho..

the customs are not as valued as the standards because they are just less desirable for the market as a whole, you will get 10 standard buyers for every 1 custom buyer, plus the volute, and the EG-1000 necks are not generally as fat as the EGF-1200, having said that I would buy those EG-1000's as the price is now very good and they are really lovely guitars...

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Mark, i actually like the volute and would have it on all my LP's if i could get it..stronger neck at the headstock.

That's ostensibly why Gibson introduced the volute in the early 1970's. Didn't reduce headstock breakage a whit. Mahogany isn't oak, and when the narrowest area is drilled - for the truss rod - and grooved - for the nut - all it takes is one good whack to break it off, or at least put a pretty good fracture/crack.

villager said:
only reason i didnt bid on that was the seller did not answer my question about the pickups...

nice guitar tho..

the customs are not as valued as the standards because they are just less desirable for the market as a whole, you will get 10 standard buyers for every 1 custom buyer, plus the volute, and the EG-1000 necks are not generally as fat as the EGF-1200, having said that I would buy those EG-1000's as the price is now very good and they are really lovely guitars...

Well that's not a good sign...LOL...for the dry z's anyway. I think the seller isn't really into guitars strictly. The profile talks about "aged wood products"...so maybe he's just some kind of antique dealer or something. Who knows. For my sake..sorry...I hope he just didn't know what you were talking about!

And actually that makes me happy to hear the necks are a little thinner. Over all I don't really care,...I usually just adapt my playing to whatever neck size a particular guitar is. But I do have small hands and given the choice would take slimmer.

Can someone explain volute? I get the dowl thing but what's a volute?

soundcreation said:
Can someone explain volute? I get the dowl thing but what's a volute?

It's the little flair on the rear of the neck where it meets the headstock. Check out the photo. :D

volute.jpg

Back