just tried an edwards lp, have some questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I just tried, this week, an edwards les paul finally, I don't know what model though, it was a vintage sunburst with an excessive flame (it's probably a maple veneer) but it still looked cool... My tokai is a notch above, but I really enjoyed playing the edwards and was very pleasently surprised, although a bit heavier, it was very resonant and had good fret work.

I've seen internet pictures of the pickup cavities and you can clearly see that the maple top used on edwards is thinner than the top tokai uses for exemple, I obviously didn't have time to confirm any of these details, because the guitar does not belong to me, so I would like to know if any one can make a comparison of body thickness between a tokai and an edwards...

maybe some measurements of the body thickness and if possible nut width (in case anyone owns both), I know some people here do. I would apreciate it very much

Overall very impressed with the quality of the guitar, oh by the way the one I tried was not one piece back, and the neck altough thick was not much thicker than a tokai, but like I said I enjoyed quite a bit

bruno,

don't know if I can help you in a rush ... 8)

... but you can compare yourself - my Edwards 90LTS and my Tokai LS150 are at your command ... I can provide detailed pics of the cavities of both guitars ... :wink:

http://ruediger-albrecht.medion-fotoalbum.de/

I didn't measure them but I think you're right, because the Edwards has a thin maple cap and a veneer which is as thick (or thin) as the cap.
I think that the neck of my Tokai is more comfortable for me because the neck of the Edwards feels a little bit more chunky.

But I agree the sound is great and I improved it with a complete '50s wiring, an Alu tailpiece and Kloppmann pups - woody and pronounced, mellow at the neck, thick and airy at the bridge - you can hear every string even while you're playing chords. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

thanks tudor, if you could eventually measure them, I would apreciate, I would like to know more about these.

I'm saving for another tokai right now, but after playing the edwards I may one day try and get one to fool around...

bruno,

I will measure it ASAP - it means be a little bit patient, because I will change the strings at the end of the week. 8)

Roger

Hi Bruno,

don't know if this helps (I'm at my office and my Edwards LP is at home 8) )

A friend of mine has a 76 Gibson Les Paul Custom and as my Edwards
arrived a few months ago we took a ruler to measure the two guitars,
just for fun. The result: The Edwards was/is a 100% Copy of the Original,
even the frets had the same thickness and height! I can not tell about the
thickness of the maple top, it's a Custom in vintage white so I would have
to scratch off the colour in the PU cavity to do that, and I won't! :wink:

Andi

bruno,

... as promised, I measured the thickness of the maple caps ...

Tokai LS150 - one piece mahogany back - maple cap 1,5 cm thickness.

Edwards E-LP-90LTS - one piece mahogany back - maple cap 1 cm - Veneer 0,5 cm

... so summa summarum ... the same thickness over all!
I measured it at the thickest area, in the middle of the bridge cavity.

Roger

My two are a Tokai LS95F/L and an Edwards ELP85SD/L Both 2005/6 both from Ishibashi, both around the same shipped price. The Tokai is 10lbs, the Edwards, 7.5. The tokai has a bigger neck and bigger frets. The edwards has a long neck tenon. The cap on the edwards is tiny. Overall workmanship about the same, with the Edwards getting a slight edge for no overspray. I like the Duncans on the edwards better. I sold the tokai and kept the edwards. Your results may differ.

HAve Edwards any serial number? If so wich is the pattern they follow?

the more recent Edwards have serials say those produced in the last few years, and from what i've seen the serial will start with ED and then 2 numbers for the year so an 2006 model has ED06 and a 2005 model ED05 etc have seen ED04 and maybe ED03 from memory but thats about it,i've owned 3 edwards that had no serial but were still in the duncan range and were great.

HTH
Steve

Tak from Katana wrote:

He also mentioned that Edwards put the serial numbers on the headstock since 2005!?

sneakyjapan mentioned in a former thread that the Edwards LPs appear first in the 2002 or 2003 catalogs.

8) 8)

Roger

yeah none of the ones i've purchased second hand had serials but the newer ones all have serials

Marcus,

is it a brand new one ??

So, if I'm right, it must be from 2006, I guess.

Roger

PS. I've aked ESP - no answer on my questions!

i'm only going from what i've seen, i've had 2 x E-LP-85sd and a E-SG-80SD and all were purchased used and none had serials.

I currently have a E-SE-118LT ED06XXXXX purchased during 06
E-LP-90LT purchased 06 ED06XXXXX
and E-SA-118LT purchased about 2 weeks ago ED06XXXXX

my friend has an E-SG-85LT and i'm pretty sure his is ED05XXXXX and he got that at the very start of this year so prob stock from last years production.

I've seen an E-FV-80SD that was advertised as an 04 model and had serial ED04XXXXX

I'm not saying the serial for sure proves when it was made but it seems to be from what i've seen.

Steve

Steve,

Thnx for that information ... :lol:

I'm sure we'll get some systematics at the end of the day ... :wink:

Roger

My ELP 85 SD is from 2004 and guess ... it starts ED04. Great guitar, light, resonant, looks great. I wonder if there are weight relief holes, but no one seems to know.

Everyone I've spoken to says that they are solid body construction without cavities.

I'd bet that if you ran it through and xray at the airport security check, you'd find out.

Latest posts

Back