Interesting Silver Star

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Hey guys, check this one out from Guitargai's site. Never seen one like this..... headstock decal, four bolt neck, etc...... very nice:

http://guitargai.com/html_folder/gai_otherCA5.html#

SS45? I though that Peter Mac (and others) had established that the only four bolt SS was the SS60 (the rarer of the two SS60 models, there's also a 3 bolt SS60 from 1980/81).

Something about the decal doesn't look right to me.

Mike

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
Something about the decal doesn't look right to me.

Mike

My thoughts too..... guitar looks nice. Flat pole pickups (?)

...that decal is 100% correct. I posted here before my SS65N which has that logo, it is only seen in 1982.
Someone else here has a matching colour headstock springy (pink)which has that logo decal as well...the logo decal is also seen in 1982 catalogue SS60 4 bolts....

SS45? ...first one i have ever seen...not in any catalogue i have seen either...maybe due to limited model ....the pickups (flatpoles) and tuners used making it a SS45 maybe....my SS65 4 bolt had U's and klusons...someone else here had a SS60 4 bolt with S pickups? not sure if that model was 1982 or 1983, there was no logo decal.

Really? OK. Tokais huh? :lol:

I wonder if that sticker actually says 45 or if they mis-read it? That's a very plain piece of alder for Tokai too, they usually made a bit more of an effort on Sunburst models.

I emailed him about the pickups and what they were. Also asked to see the back of the tuners. Here's the reply (I still think it's a very cool guitar):

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the e. While the neck, body, pots and bridge/tremelo unit are original to the guitar, the pickups, 5-way switch and pickguard are not. They all appear to be from a mid-'80s Fender Japan Strat.

Hence the low price.

I don't have a photo of the tuner backs but if you're still interested, I'll scare one up.

Hmmmm, don't understand why anybody would fit a pickguard, on such a nice guitar, that doesn't fit. Look at that gap between neck and guard. Must have been a 22 fret Jap Fender........... For a tenner extra you'll have a guard that fits..........

Tokai68Strat6.jpg

Back