Import taxes from Japan...what do they run?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the guitar yesterday...no import taxes...but the body was cracked right where the neck goes into body.

I'm spending all day today trying to figure out which forms Hisashi needs me to send him to get the refund going...it's a bit confusing at times decifering his sentences...but hopefully we'll get there. I know he wants to make it right.

It is a nice guitar, poly finish, but very thin and resonant...it's too bad it got damaged in shipping. :cry:

No...that would have been another $90, and I already have a TKL case that fits the SG. From what I can tell, this is happens very infrequently with Hisashi, even on those guitars just packed in a gig bag. His packing was just right...about 3-4 inches of bubble wrap around the whole guitar...there was no movement in the box whatsover, nor any visible damage to the box on the outside.

It's perplexing, but Hisashi has guaranteed me that he'll make it right....I hope so! :-?

Shipping a guitar from one continent to another without a hard case is extremely unwise, especially with something as vulnerable as a Gibson type guitar. Mahogany is not the strongest of woods, and the Gibson type neck & headstock joints are well known weak points. There have been other horror stories on the forum with similar outcomes, & I would be surprised if insurance covers a guitar that wasn't properly protected.

Personally, I wouldn't even take the risk with a Strat or Tele. Surely this is what guitar cases are for? :eek: $90 seems a small price to pay to ensure that a valued guitar arrives undamaged. And you could always sell the extra case if you really don't want it.

**** that sounds like pure commonsense stratman, but as I'm sitting on the edge of my here waiting for a Les Paul that was shipped without a case let me put another take on it.

Many guitars are shipped to retail outlets without hard cases, and guitars can be safely packed in other ways.

Surely a "flightcase" is what is required for 100% peace of mind. A hard case is protection that is used regularly, as in for quickly protecting a guitar without having to wrap it up in bubble wrap, cardboard and foam.

That being said I wish I had ordered the hardcase, my logic at the time was that I can always buy one over here, and then be able to choose exactly what sort of case I need, i.e. one that fits a six pack as well as assorted leads etc. I was also thinking that then there would be a recalculation of shipping due to added weight. ( "buy it now" get it a.s.a.p. )

*edge of chair gets narrower*

skalie said:
Many guitars are shipped to retail outlets without hard cases, and guitars can be safely packed in other ways.

True, but then the retailer takes the risk and will have to pay for any damaged goods. This is why buying from a retailer tends to cost a little more than buying direct from Japan - it's not just profit for the retailer. You also pay for the lack of worry, and for the lack of import duties.

If I had ever been tempted to buy a guitar direct from Japan, this story, and the previous one a month or two ago, have hopefully taught me not to do it - it isn't worth the risk just to save a few ?s or $s.

I've sold a few guitars in the past and always include a hard case, none of the UK shippers, Parcelforce, Royal Mail, DHL etc will insure a guitar for damage unless it is in a hard case.

Every time I list a guitar in ebay there is always at least one person asks if I will sell for 20 quid less without the case! A strat you could probably stick a stamp on and push it through a post-box, but posting a LP or SG without a case is asking for trouble, it's just not worth the risk.

.... none of this discussion is making my saturday afternoon any more comfortable, just hope it arrives today (and unbroken), else it will be a couple of sleepness nights.

it isn't worth the risk just to save a few ?s or $s.

Had there been a stockist of Tokai in the area with a Japanese P90 Goldtop hanging on the wall I would have bought it there and then, which is what I did when I saw one appear on Ebay.

The last music shop I was in that did have Tokai's, The Belfast Guitar Emporium, said that they hadn't been able to get Japanese models for quite a while.

**** it, I don't dare pop down the shops.

Sorry for derailing this thread, hopefully I will have some more info regarding import taxes in the near future.

Sorry if it makes you feel bad skalie, that wasn't my intention. I just hope other people learn from the misfortunes of those who have guitars damaged in transit, and take precautions themselves.

I hate reading about damaged guitars, even when they're nothing to do with me. :cry:

OK it's here, much to my dismay the three bottom strings were out of tune, but further to that in PERFECT condition.

Taxes were 150 euro inclding 4 euro tip, guitar cost around 580 including shipping.

............ wouldn't you know it, I have a dinner date, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, maybe she won't mind if I bring the guitar along, no wait, I'd give the guitar more attention, bad move.

The only LP that could really tempt me would be a P90 Goldtop. Which model did you get?

When you've finished with your date, let us know what it's like. I'd love to know how slim or chunky the neck is. On the guitar I mean....

Have a good evening..... :wink:

Date cut short ( well I do have to get up at 04.30 for work tmorrow )....

....it's a LS-85S, don't really know how to describe necks, but it feels pretty similar to my 1982 Fender Thinline re-issue.

Guitar can be viewed here if the link still works, can't put the thing down, sounds fantastic clean with my silly little practice amp, haven't managed to tame it yet on distorted settings.

MIJvintage said:
Diamond said:
There should be no import duty into the States.

I whole heartedly agree but that does not change the fact the the law requires Customs duties.

It also does not change the fact that when imports are coming through certain POE, that Customs duties are being assessed, and that they are even being inflated by Customs officials.

I recently sent a protest to US Customs for a duty that I was assessed, in which the Customs people charged me duty based on a 70% increase in the actual value of the item.

If I do not recieve a positive response from Customs, I will be writing to several members of the the US Senate, & the US House, in more than one state.

Received a reply from US Customs today; they are asking for an invoice & proof of payment.

I am forwarding the PayPal invoice & the PayPal 'Transaction Details' (proof of payment) that show the actual cost of the item.

We shall see where this goes........................

MIJvintage said:
No, read my earlier post; I protested a duty already paid & am claiming partial refund, because the Customs jerks assessed the value $350 over actual value

Sorry ... didn't read that thoroughly enough ... :-?

Roger

I recently bought a Ceriatone amp from Malaysia, when I recieved my VAT bill from DHL there is a 'VAT Value Adjustment' on the invoice. I enquired about this and apparently UK Customs & Excise can charge VAT on what they think something is worth, not what you pay for it!!

JohnA said:
I recently bought a Ceriatone amp from Malaysia, when I recieved my VAT bill from DHL there is a 'VAT Value Adjustment' on the invoice. I enquired about this and apparently UK Customs & Excise can charge VAT on what they think something is worth, not what you pay for it!!

then we should be allowed to pay taxes according to how well we think our respective gov`ts are performing.

Back