I'm new, but what the heck is BROCK burst?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd

Reaction score
What is "brock" burst? I have searched and seen it. Why and when did this term come into use?
REPEAT.
I have seen it. it looks like vintage sunburst to me. Am I missing something?
Is there a explanation hidding in the posts marked NULL?

The reason I ask is, I was looking at some REBORNs and now have decided that
1. most of them are too heavy for me
2. most of them are too expensive
I am now looking at LS 320's
a better bang for the buck I think. Probably a smarter buy.

Thanks for tolerating a "newbie" question.
LSW

Hi Lloyd,

OK, I?m far from an expert on collectible old Gibsons, but I think the ?Brockburst? is/was a flametop 1959 Gibson Les Paul originally owned by a guy called Brian Brock. He sold it in the 1970?s for what was then an astronomical sum of around $60K. Since then the guitar has attained a status which ranks it amongst the most valuable Gibsons on earth. Try a search on ?brock? over at the Les Paul Forum :-? .

The NULL posts just arose after a long-time member decided to leave the forum (Loverockeruk), we still don?t know why he left;- shame because he contributed a lot, & he?d know much about the Brockburst?.

Not sure why you think the LS320 offers a ?better bang for the buck? :eek: ? The LS320 is a VERY expensive guitar, & clearly getting into same price league as Gibson (with all the same problems of rapid onset from the ?law of diminishing returns?). In contrast, the Reborn is much cheaper (unless anyone ever finds a Reborn 200), & should certainly offer bags of fine vintage LP tone, style, & quality. A nice Reborn just sold on eBay for $460 ? that?s about half the expected price, or less!

OK I?ll get some ?flak? for this, & just my 2 cents, but?? personally I have a strong preference old guitars ? and irrespective of price I?d always choose a decent 1978-80 Reborn in preference to any new LS320 :-? .

Ian.

Yes, Ian is correct concerning the Brock Burst. Once owned by Brian Brock, it is a 59 with incredible flame and unfaded colour, one that has pretty much set the benchmark for flametops. It's by far and away my favourite vintage Les Paul - I wish I knew how to post pictures, 'cause I got a slew of them - but it's been featured on many a cover. It was responsible for my buying my '84 Love Rock, because I was searching for a replacement for my dear departed original '59 burst, but nothing Gibson was making at that time - mid-80's - came close. Then I saw this Tokai in a shop and I said, "Whoa, the Brockburst!".

Lloyd, you were wondering about the best bang for your buck? A 320 would set you back quite a few bucks, but you would be getting a fine instrument. However, the lower models shouldn't be ignored - mine is an '84 LS-60 (which I think is an LS-80 today), and is a very sweet guitar. I'd put it between a production model Gibson LP and a Historic Reissue LP - it's that good! And at 7.6 lbs, its a featherweight.

Check this out !!!

Warning !!!! Prepare to want one !!!!!

http://www.theboggitfarm.com/9-0913brockburstsun.jpg

For more info on Gibson LP Bursts see:

http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1999/1/mainevent4.html

Nik

:eek: WOW!! :eek:

Yep, that's serial #90913 - the Brockburst, all right. There are many new Gibson Reissues with this kind of over the top tiger-striping, but to have found an original '59 with such exceptional flame and colour is..well, exceptional!

Thanks for the info guys,
Let me clarify my thoughts for you on the Reborns, AT 10+ lbs, I'm not interested in them. Way to heavy to gig with for me. Value, yes. Bang for the buck, YES! Heavy though...
If I could find one that was 9.0 lbs or less I would buy it NOW at $900.00 USD if it had a good top.

LS 320. I spoke too soon as I didn't know the price was over $3000.00 USD shipped from Japan. I'm trying to get a couple of Canadian dealers to send me price quotes on one but none will.

Maybe they can't sell them in the US?
Anyone know?

I now fully understand a "Brock" burst. Thank you.

Tokai have special lines for sale in the US with altered cutaway horns and control layouts. I doubt a 320 spec is among them.

I have a custom-ordered 320, based on the Brockburst. While it's not a perfect clone, its color is pretty enough and it does sound good as it gets!
:lol:

LS320%20Brockburst-1.jpg

That sure is a beautiful LP.
I've gone a slightly different route with my Gibson, I had it re-finished in Nitro by John Diggins in Birmingham UK. But it is more of a faded Burst than the "Brock"
Check it out here:

http://nik5085.fotopic.net/c122717.html

Regards
Nik

These aren't Les Paul replicas (they are Strat/Paul hybrids made by Leo Skala) but check out the flame tops on this site. The maple tops are 1/2 inch thick! They start at $2,550 - not cheap, but neither are Gibsons these days.

http://scalaguitars.com/Picture%20Gallery.htm

I just bought one of his Strat models (padauk neck and board, one-piece mahogony back, which is gorgeous, with an antique leather [yes, leather] top, with a thick figured maple pickguard, like his hybrid models, on top of that) which isn't shown here, but is an amazingly toneful instrument. It's a one-off model. Has a treble/rhythm switch that reads "Sorrow/Pain." Very cool, plus the Strat jack is on the guitar's back. Great idea - it doesn't get in the way, either - why don't more builders do this? Paid just $1,150 with case. Wish I could post photos but I don't have a Web site, and they're not on Leo's, and from what I understand, they need to be on one for this forum. Could be wrong here, but then again, I am a techno-yutz. :roll:

Leo Skala is the partner (former apprentice) of Michael Spalt, maker of Totem and Garage guitars, and Spalt basses, some of which have pickups that slide across the top like a windshield wiper blade. Leo's work is amazing, and he is just starting out with his own guitars. Also a very nice guy.

p.s. Guitar's stacked in the closet, but still under the wife's radar screen, as of now, at least. :D

I was looking at pictures of Brockburst this morning dreaming away and my girlfriend said ' I dont like it, I prefer your pretty green guitar. She also didn't like the 'stripes'

I tried to explain what it was but to no avail. Guess she won't let me sell the house to buy it then.

Would you live in a caravan just to own Brocky?

She?s right ? keep the house :lol: ! Solid colours can look great on Tele?s, & often on Strats too. Prefer sunburst on LP?s, but just as happy with nice plain grain, especially if it means a solid top (as opposed to veneer). Purely personal opinion, of course :-? .

Ian.

i agree w/ ian.

brockburst-smockburst....it's *just* a LesPaul

i'm constantly amazed what people consider *valuable*

~yawn~

Latest posts

Back