Ibanez vs. Greco Explorer copies (Ibanez Destroyer)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducati

Reaction score
So, the 1976 - 1978 era Ibanez Destroyer guitars are selling for over $2000 on ebay.

Bet you don't believe me! Item number: 110124250480 $2025 with 2+ days to go.

The interesting thing is that I have a Greco Explorer from 1977 that looks identical to the Ibanez, except it says Greco on the headstock. I've had it side by side with a Destroyer and aside from the "G" versus "Star" tuner backs and the name, the construction is the same.

Were these guitars made by the same people? How can the Ibanez be worth over $2000? Gibson examples can be had sometimes under $1000.

The Greco and Ibanez Destroyers are really the same and made by the same factories FujiGen and maybe Dyna.
The only real difference is that the Greco has U-2000 pickups which are also in the mid range Greco LP models and the Ibanez has Super 70 pickups which were in a lot of Ibanez LP like models in the 1970's/early 1980's.
They sometimes sell for more than a Gibson because Eddie Van Halen used a Ibanez (maybe Greco) Destroyer on Van Halen I the ultimate hair metal album.
EVH had a white Destroyer in 1976 before he did a frankenstrat makeover to it which is a bit strange as the usual colour was Korina or Yellow.
Greco had a white Destroyer model that was probably available around 1976 but I don't think Ibanez did.
Maybe Eddie repainted it white but it doesn't look like he did because the white finish looked like it came from the factory.
Maybe he had it painted white by a professional, who knows seeing that he's got all this tape on the headstock covering up the logo.

I believe that they were made in the same factory, and most of the significant Ibanez models from this period were definitely had Greco equivalents. The Iceman certainly did, it was called the "Greco Mirage". Though I think that the Greco versions were only produced in small numbers for the Japanese home market.

The serial numbering system used by Ibanez from around '76 up to the late 80's/early 90's was also used by Greco, as was a lot of the same hardware, though I think the pickups may have been slightly different.

Ibanez "Lawsuit" guitars (their copies) are fetching really good prices from collectors, and have been for a few years, as have the Ibanez original models from this period (Artist/Iceman/etc).

Paul Stanley talks about Tokai Greco and Ibanez in this interview

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=16581

He did a lot to make Ibanez well known especially the Iceman and Ace used to play a Ibanez Destroyer/Explorer in the 70's as well.

Paul Stanleys(PS models) have been reissued in mid 90?s and still in production by Greco as a M-120 model....

Regarding Grecos and Ibanez are the same but Greco had better specs models(wood and finish,etc...).

Interesting points. I have owned both Ibanez and Greco versions of this guitar and they really are the same, down to the multi-piece bodies & multi-piece necks, same blue lined case (although the one in this auction has green lining).

The pickups look pretty much identical, they both have ink numbers stamped on the bottom, with the Ibanez ones having engraved "Super 70" as well.

I love mine but to me it's hard to explain the crazy prices!

It?s crazy.
I just remember when this guitars were 400$ 4 years from now...

But.....there is people who feel paying that high amount will give them a great guitar..not true,just economics thing(offer/demand)...

Yes, I bought an Ibanez Destroyer in 2004 for USD $600 and was worried that I overpaid.

These are nice guitars but $2600 is beyond the pale for such an instrument.

I love the look of these guitars! I wish they hung more comfortably over my "spare tire". LOL!

Latest posts

Back