I went and did it anyway!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well.....I went ahead and said F***K IT!!!
Despite being able to find NO information on it except what I found on harmonycentral.com. I went ahead ahead and did it anyway.
I bought a supposedly mint, Black 61 SG copy(supposedly only played for an hour) that I found on e-bay. I talked the guy out of his listing (he had no bids) and we went outside e-bay for $350.00 USD, shipped. If this guitar turns out to be worth my time, I plan on installing the Iommi pickups and some "real" machines to round out the package. Maybe a decent nut if it need be.
It should be here next week.

Here's what I find puzzling: The only place I could find one was axeandyoushallreceive.com. I don't even know if this place is in the U.S. They list it, when available, for $549.00. Which is probably an overinflated list anyway. :roll:
I hope I didn't get hosed.

My tech/buddy since High School owns a guitar shop, and he couldn't even find a listing for one in his "blue book"(neither could the three other shops I contacted). He could only tell me that every other Tokai guitar is pretty much worthless according to his book, and that I probably should stay away from it. Every other shop pretty much told me the same thing.
I sure hope that this thing kicks some serious wild-***, so that I can kind of rub it in everybody's faces.

Why is it so hard to find info, or a dealer for this guitar? Is it that much of a turd that nobody want's to deal with it? WTF?
Did I get ripped off? Or did I make the "score of a lifetime?
I sure hope it all works out.....
Please, any feedback would be appreciated.

It sure looks nice though, check it out. It's the best(and only) pic I could find of this model, other than the e-bay shots.
http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/images/toksgbl1.jpg

Later,
-SDMF

i own 2 1980 ls80 les pauls. i think they are superb instruments. period. i owned a gibson r8 that i got rid of to get the tokais. the tokai are it's equal, and in some ways better, and i got 2 of them and had change left over. i keep them bone stock, haven't changed a thing except setup and pickup heighth.

The only tokais you can get usually get in the US have an altered shape, so probably aren't popular. The jap ones, especially the early ones, are in demand at the moment and a good 70's/80's example can reach silly money on ebay.

My recent tokai has been a/b'd with an R8 (not by me sadly, but by a tech last time it had some work) and he said he was amazed at how close the tokai was in terms of historical accuracy and overall quality.

if you scroll down a bit you`ll see a red SG by Tokai.
with the text.

http://www.tcgakki.com/tcgakki/inst/guitar/ajapan.html

TOKA made from 84 year put on the market as a replica of 1963 type GIBSON SG. The height of the degrees of dead copy, such as MAHONEKKU of a 太 grip, is the TOKA old truly a little to processing body roundish [ wore ] and lightweight MAHOBODI. Of course, TOKA 57PAF of a prejudice is mounted also in a tone quality side. Although there are a crack and 打痕跡 only in this age a little, a neck, a fret, and an electric system are not those[ with a problem ]-ま(ed). Of course, it is full original. Soft case attachment. Since it is also a model without almost arrival of goods, a earlier inquiry is recommended. It is price E 60,000 at the time of sale.

Hi Sneaky;- thanks for that link, some nice guitars at that place 8) . Thanks for the SG translation too (still can?t make head nor tail of it though, LoL!) :-? .

Ian.
ps:- that TDPRI place is a bit weird isn?t it? Very active, but bit OTT on the testosterone :eek: ?

yeah well, same thing happens to me regularly. Though from the looks I get when I speak Japanese something similar is going on with the natives. Even though at times it takes awhile, the point is usually made.

Hi Ian,just a quick follow on from the link Sneaky posted.I bought an Orville by Gibson 335 from him,it came within a week and exactly as described.I would buy from him again and probably will (but don't tell the missus!) :wink: .....highly recommended.
pb

Hi PB, thanks for the ?heads up?. Orville by Gibbo. 335, wow :p ! Now that does sound like a serious guitar ? what do you play, classic Blues, R&B? I also used to like Bill Nelson?s sound in BeBop Dleuxe (eg Sister Seagull, Maid in Heaven;- clever lyrics too), I think that was a 335 :-? ?

Sneaky:- it may be my imagination, but on eBay I don?t see as many old 80?s Tokais these days (lots of brand new stuff); but do you still see plenty of early Tokais in the Japanese shops :( ?

Ian.
Ps:- ?heads up??? That?s a bit too American for me isn?t it :eek: . OK, I?ll rephrase:- thanks for the tip old chap, I?ll keep an eye out :-? .

Hi Ian old chap,no problem. :D
Bill Nelson,now there's a name from the past!,not my cup of Earl Grey but some great solos especially on Maid in Heaven :) His son is by all accounts a bit of a fine 'shredder' (oh dear!) :roll:
The OBG is a damned fine guitar nearly as good as my Tokai ES120 :wink:

pb (limey and proud!)

p.s. I play blues (badly)

No I don`t see a lot of old Tokais here but then again, theres only one pawn shop in this city of a million people that sells used guitars. I`m sure there are more in the bigger cities.

Latest posts

Back