How to remove the scratchplate on a Tokai Flying V

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope thats enough documentation there of the situation I'm in. It's doing my tits in!!!

Do you have a socket wrench set? I've pulled this type of bridge bush by using a suitably sized socket over the bush, and screwing in the tailpiece bolt to jack it out. If you don't have a socket set use loads of plain washers to act as the spacer.

Well finally :lol: .

Hey that's a sweet looking V btw :D . It's just like the guys said before, you have to pull those inserts out. Put the studs/posts back in, this might seem crude but...(if someone has a better way chime in, otherwise he'll have to buy a very expensive tool from StewMac) and use the claw of a hammer over the tailpiece, and GENTLY pull them out a little at a time if they are very tight.

P.S. putting the studs back in gives you something to grab on to, take care not to damage the screw threads. I don't recall if you said it has thumscrews or a Nashville type bridge. From the pics it looks Nash, so screw the posts in and use the lip on the post for grip.

What a pain in the *** right?! You may want to drill those post holes bigger in the "scratchplate"/pickguard so you don't have to pull them out again, if you ever want to do other mods. :roll:

The whole thing comes out, its a 20mm long threaded insert. You need to put the bridge post back in and carefully use that to grip onto to pull the whole thing out. If you are not confident in doing that its best to take to your nearest guitar tech.

Ok Ok will put the dam screws back in and use them to grip onto and hopefully the things will come out. It is bloody crude I have to admit. I'm used to working with Strats.

Unfortunately guitar techs cost ??????????????????????? and they seem to be all pretty crap in Belfast (in my experience) so this is why over the years i have become my own guitar tech! However my knowledge stops at fret and wood work.

mirrorboy said:
Do you have a socket wrench set? I've pulled this type of bridge bush by using a suitably sized socket over the bush, and screwing in the tailpiece bolt to jack it out. If you don't have a socket set use loads of plain washers to act as the spacer.

Sorry mirrorboy, I'm not one with knowledge of socket wrenchs, I think I have one but I've never used it. I'm not sure I knows how I'd use it to get those things out :-? .

Axechisler said:
Hey that's a sweet looking V btw

Thanks, got a few years ago. I love it so much I think I'm gonna buy a few more and have slight different setups with each. I don't care if its a MIK, its the closest thing I came to KK Downing outta JudasPriests Cherry Red Flying V. The new gibson V's are horrible looking compared to the old ones and I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them and epiphones so I chose a Tokai for its rep of making better Gibsons than Gibson. Of course its all "hear say" but there you go!!!

Will let everyone know how I get on, I'm slow with replies cause I don't got my own internet, bare with me!!!

Thanks for helping everyone.

="Rabidbitch"

Axechisler said:
Hey that's a sweet looking V btw

Thanks, got a few years ago. I love it so much I think I'm gonna buy a few more and have slight different setups with each. I don't care if its a MIK, its the closest thing I came to KK Downing outta JudasPriests Cherry Red Flying V. The new gibson V's are horrible looking compared to the old ones and I've heard nothing but bad stuff about them and epiphones so I chose a Tokai for its rep of making better Gibsons than Gibson. Of course its all "hear say" but there you go!!!

Will let everyone know how I get on, I'm slow with replies cause I don't got my own internet, bare with me!!!

Thanks for helping everyone.

Cool, another Priest fan. I used to have a T shirt with that guitar on the back!

Hey if you use my idea with a hammer claw, and use the tailpiece for leverage, be sure to put a towel or something over the tailpiece so you don't scratch it. Take your time and pull it out a little at a time (that's what she said 8) ). It may come out easy, maybe not. As long as you are careful it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got the scratchplate off and potted the pup's.

I shall post photo's asap. I'm now stuck on whether to drill holes bigger in scratchplate or not depending on whether or not its going to effect the height at which the bushings sit at in the body of the guitar.

This is a crappy design I have to say!!! But an excellent guitar!! :D

I enlarged the holes, a: to make it easier for another day and b: because I couldnt get the action/bridge adjustment any lower with them in the original position. I used a tapered "Dremmel" Bit to enlarge the hole, a drill will chew up the plastic.

I can see why you'd want the action lower by doing this, the bridge doesn't seem to go really low.

Thankfully I play with a "higher than most" action for a lead guitarist anyway so it suits me.

In my experience having drilled through scratch plates before, I find going very very very slow, using a drill bit for drilling metal/plastic does the trick without any chewing.

I have decided against the drilling as I want to leave the bridge height where it is. I'm going to grease up the bushings some how before I re-assemble incase I want to to open it again of the future. Now I know how to do it it shouldn't be a problem taking the scratch plate off, however I'm a little afraid doing this over and over again might ruin the bushing holes. I don't plan on opeing up over and over again but you never know.

Photos once I'm done. Poor guitar probably don't know whats hit it. :D

fv1.jpg

fv9.jpg

fv2.jpg

fv10.jpg

Proof I got the bloody scratch plate off!!! And then potted my pups!!

I'm doing another mod soon so I'll document how I got the scrathcplate off!!

Whilst getting it off this tim I was too nervous to remember to take a picture or two!!

Full frontal with Dean Markley strings coming soon!!

Question? Are the specs for the Tokai flying v's the same as standard gibsons?

Its just I'm contemplating a better material bridge. This guitar is great don't get me wrong but the hardware is a little on the cheapish side so I'm sure a higher quality bridge would pay a little dividends. May be not I dunno!

Back