How much is my Tokai worth?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polarbear

Reaction score
I'm gassing super hard for a Gibson.

How much is the Tokai worth?

Pics here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17942

And some here:

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00671.jpg

It does have some upgrades:

Gibson Les Paul Gold Top Knobs,
Upgraded 500k pots.
Gibson wiring.

Please help cure my gas for a Les Paul guys :lol:

Didn't you just buy that guitar when you recently joined the forum and posted it? A good indication of what it is worth is what you paid for it.

Yes, I'd agree with the ?200 mark at very, very best in the current climate...there isn't any premium in having a Korean Love Rock over a more recent Chinese made one...

What sort of Gibson are you after and what's your price point?

Having posted 96 times in 20 days I would have thought if you wanted to upgrade, you might at least start looking at MIJ Tokais as a starting point...

Polarbear said:
I'm gassing super hard for a Gibson.

Please help cure my gas for a Les Paul guys :lol:

WARNING - Do not buy sight unseen...just a friendly advice. I went through 12 Gibson SGs to find a really good one, the rest were not so good and some hardly playable.

Now I own a Gibson again and I am quite happy with it however, I did the A/B test last night against my latest buy (a PRS 53/10 Limited edition) and I have to say the old theory of Gibson making the best humbuckers/having THE tone is well dead and buried.

The SG got destroyed both in clean and driven sounds and in all positions.

Do yourself a favour before you buy a Les Paul:

- Try as many Gibsons as you can, agree with the shop to set aside the one you like best
- Try high end MIJ Tokais, Richtone has some in stock
- Try a USA PRS Singlecut, preferably SC245

After all that if you still want tthe Gibson or feel it is the better guitar buy it! Any of the above would make a great guitar for life.

WARNING - Do not buy sight unseen...just a friendly advice. I went through 12 Gibson SGs to find a really good one, the rest were not so good and some hardly playable.

What he said. I have had a few Gibsons, and havent been particularly impressed with any of them. In fact, a Gibson Flying V I bought unseen recently was, without question, the worst playing and sounding plank I had ever seen. Obviously you will get some bias on a Tokai forum, but the days of Gibson making consistently quality guitars is long over it seems - their quaity control is all over the place, they almost trade on name alone, and are currently doing a very good job of running that name into the dirt. Try any MIJ Tokai Love Rock and you are basically guaranteed as very very well built and finished Les Paul - better than the current Gibson Standards by far.

marcusnieman said:
Didn't you just buy that guitar when you recently joined the forum and posted it? A good indication of what it is worth is what you paid for it.

Yezzir.

I traded it for my BC Rich Warlock :lol:

Johny642000 said:
Yes, I'd agree with the ?200 mark at very, very best in the current climate...there isn't any premium in having a Korean Love Rock over a more recent Chinese made one...

What sort of Gibson are you after and what's your price point?

Having posted 96 times in 20 days I would have thought if you wanted to upgrade, you might at least start looking at MIJ Tokais as a starting point...

It was just to help fund one really. I won't be doing it tomorrow as per say, as I've got Download festival to pay for right now.

Maybe an SG, or Les Paul. I love the studios quite alot.

96 times in 20 days, your point is?

Am I not allowed to have a Gibson? I've never tried a MIJ Tokai, so I'll have to check them out.

Polarbear said:

Am I not allowed to have a Gibson? I've never tried a MIJ Tokai, so I'll have to check them out.

I think the point is you are on a Tokai (aka MIJ) forum. Given your excitement with you guitar and all of your posts, the logical assumption is that you'd be dumping the MIK for an MIJ Tokai? Do yourself a favor and try out the MIJ's before the Gibsons..... most of us agree that you'll be paying alot more for the name and getting less than with a Tokai.

marcusnieman said:
Polarbear said:

I think the point is you are on a Tokai (aka MIJ) forum. Given your excitement with you guitar and all of your posts, the logical assumption is that you'd be dumping the MIK for an MIJ Tokai? Do yourself a favor and try out the MIJ's before the Gibsons..... most of us agree that you'll be paying alot more for the name and getting less than with a Tokai.

I love my guitar, plays really well.
I'll try out a MIJ Tokai then. Not sure where I'd find them. Maybe, try out one, then snag one on eBay or something?

Not all my posts are about Tokai is general, I've helped out with problems with other guitars too ;)

Thanks for your input guys.

PB.

I don't knock Gibson and indeed own a very playable 1997 Les Paul Special...

It's just that as you are on a MIJ related site I was presuming you might be open to an MIJ guitar before looking at Gibson...as other posters have mentioned, buying a Gibson sight unseen is not to be recommended due to variable quality control...

For the same price as a new Studio in the UK, you could get a better specced Tokai and with fewer concerns about quality control...if you need to try before you buy then a trip to Denmark Street will allow you to try both Gibsons and some Tokais out - I think Rockers have been mentioned as a Tokai stockist before...

All the best,

John.

Latest posts

Back