how can i tell the model of this love rock ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmavis

Reaction score
hi dudes... i just seen a love rock, hreitage sunburst 2 screw holes on the bell, same volume tones as a lp classic, strange tunomatic.. you can set the distance between strings as well as intonation.. (04 1984 serial number) now i know on the new ones u pull the neck pup out to see model no, but this one doesent have one on ether cavity, its ?350.. worth buyin?? someone has changed the pups for lindy fralins also... any help would be greatly appreciated :

Hi Darkmavis ? serial 04xxxxx indicates 2004. Serial 40xxxxx would be 1984. Fralins are pretty good of course, so if it plays well then 350 is a bargain. Questions of model id arise frequently - need to judge construction & fittings ? see this thread re LS80 vs. LS100 etc. http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3098&highlight= :-? .

Ian.

sorry man... it is 40.. (deslyxia.. its great :D ) got em mixed up... construction is good, cept for the inlays, quite a bit of filler, also in the control socket (tone vol) has a cuircit board arrangement but im not so sure if thats is to do with the falins,

OK, so it is 1984, makes sense. The pcb in the control cavity is original on models below LS80 (& seems to work fine, not inferior). Re. the inlay (you mean black edging material around the trapeze markers?) - I see that quite often on LS50 & LS60, & seems it?s just one of the little cost-cutting details as a trade off vs. more costly LS80 & LS100.

Sounds like you?re looking at an LS50 or LS60 ? the 50 should have unmatched 3-piece plain top, and 60 should have matched 2-piece top with center-seam. In any case 350 is great price for 84 Love Rock (assuming it ain?t broke lol) 8) .

Ian.

it has a 2 peice seam... yea the black stuff is as you explained :D, so should i chip on the price or just smile and but the thing? :D

Well I think 350 is a steal, so I'd grab it & run 8) . But nothing to be lost by pointing to dents/scratches/Fralins and asking "well what's your best price for cash?". Just be sure there's no major hidden damage like a repaired headstock - but if it plays OK without obvious buzzing, decent action, & looks straight when viewed down the neck etc. ... well you know all that stuff ... then yeah I'd go for it :-? .

Ian.

well he would not budge on the price, so i snapped it up, GREAT guitar!! one thing though, the tunomatic.. does it sound origonal? never seen one like it before? if so they ok to keep on or shound i pop on the classic gibbo one? im gonna insure it but dont know the value, what we talkin? its pretty deffo a 60. thanks for all ur help dude. :)

Hi Darkmavis ? congrats., nice score 8) . The value? Tricky without seeing it, but a year ago I paid 550GBP for an 82 LS60, & I reckon that was a decent price ? that was all original & v.good condition, but should be similar for yours. Korean models sell for less on eBay, and newer Japanese may occasionally go for a little less, but the cheaper ones often have issues, & of course eBay means ?sold as seen & no come back? ? you can expect to pay maybe 25% - 50% more in a UK shop.

I didn?t comment on the bridge because I haven?t the foggiest idea what it is lol (anyone?). Should be cheap & easy to replace ? original is a normal TOM with retainer wire, but probably has Metric spacing between post holes, so watch out for US or Euro replacements with Imperial dimensions which may not fit.

I suspect the Fralin?s will be good, but might be worth keeping an eye out on eBay for a pair of original spec. Gotoh?s (PAF Vintage MK-2, uncovered ?zebra?). They're pretty rare & don't often turn up for sale, but should be cheap enough if you find some.

One reason people like these guitars, apart from good tone & playability, is that construction is very close to original US Les Paul circa.1952-1960. Gibson themselves used lower quality construction after Norlin in 1969, eg pancake bodies & weight relief holes. Their recent Historic range is a return to original construction standards (very expensive), in fact their R8 is very similar to your 81 Love Rock, ie a proper copy of 1958 Les Paul (with thin binding in cut-away etc.) :-? .

Ian.

You will be very happy with that guitar, and I think that was a pretty decent price. I'm sure that bridge is not stock, but it sounds interesting. I changed the chrome hardware on my '84 Love Rock to nickel (just for the looks), and had to remove, fill and redrill the posts for the TOM ever so slightly. It wasn't a big deal, but maybe not for the faint-of-heart. :wink:

took the guitar to band praccy yesterday..... the guitar is the best lp (gibbo or otherwise ) i have played! the lindys are fantastic and are deffo are keepers, amazing tone and clarity.. i will keep an eye out for the zebras tho :D i will post a few pics if u guys are intrested? ill pop one of this mystery tuomatic to see if we can narrow it down on what it is, it seems fine thought, great tone and lots of sustain, and its kinda nice to be able to move the spacing, will post pics later if u want em 8) thanks again for the replys

Yeah, post some pics, be real nice to see the guitar after the discussion above :-? .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back