Help with info on a mystery Profile Made in Japan guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Reaction score
There is a seller near my location selling the pictured guitar. It's apparently a "Profile" brand and is apparently Made in Japan. Does anyone know anything at all about this guitar? Is it any good? Anything to watch out for? Any idea on value? Any info at all would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Lexx

Two have sold on ebay recently, one went for ?130, the other ?140 (UK sterling).

Also a red 'superstrat' went for ?30.

so they are not worth a fortune. looks a good guitar for the money though.

GoldstarSound said:
Two have sold on ebay recently, one went for ?130, the other ?140 (UK sterling).

Also a red 'superstrat' went for ?30.
That's very helpful. I am having trouble finding those on a eBay UK search ("profile" is such a non-unique word to search for). Would you happen to have links to the 3 above?

Thanks very much,
Lexx

Profile were made in Japan and Korea in the 80s and some LP's and effects were made as well.

The Japan made Profiles have "Made in Japan" on the neckplate and if it doesn't have that then it's probably a Korean made Profile.

There seems to be big differences between the Japanese and Korean made Profiles with some Korean made Profiles having plywood bodies.

I have a Japanese made Profile and it is pretty good and I would normally expect the body to have been Basswood but it seems to be Alder. The original pickups don't seem to be that great though.

I think the Profiles were made for some Music Shop or trading company probably by Dyna Gakki for the Japanese made Profiles.

Japanstrat, that very very helpful, thank you. I am going to go see and play it today. One question: how is the truss rod adjusted on this one? I don't see the normal strat head adjustment access.

The truss rod adjustment would be at the end of neck where the neck joins the body like the old time Fenders. The neck has to be removed to adjust it.

they were on Australian and US Ebay sites I think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140324922268&category=33034

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220424706884&category=33034

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360151755013&category=155301

That particular Profile is Korean made...
The Japanese Profiles were the Silhouette series.

Ozeshin said:
That particular Profile is Korean made...
The Japanese Profiles were the Silhouette series.
Ozeshin, are you referring to the guitar in my original post pictures or another post in this thread? Because I went to see the guitar tonight and just as japanstrat said, it has a Made In Japan on the rear of the guitar on the neck plate. Are people really likely to fake something as obscure as this Profile guitar?

Anyways, like I mentioned above, went to try the guitar tonight. It is functional and playable, sounds is ok (not great, but not bad at all). It is clearly very old (i.e. 25 +/- a few years seems a reasonable estimate). It definitely needs to be re-fretted , needs a thorough cleaning, and while strangely it's still mostly intonated, it needs a careful action adjustment. Still thinking about it, but particularly the need to re-fret is starting to turn me a bit off.

Thanks for all the comments and help. Learned a bunch as I always do on this forum :). I threaten to ask for help again :).

I guess that Profile like most Japanese guitars has their transitional models too...but then again...I've only seen the Silhouette series here in Australia...my info came from an Ibanez collector :-?

Back