Mystery Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Turner

Reaction score
I bought this excellent guitar several years ago, but lost the paperwork, its unusuall that the output jack is on the side. Now I want to sell it and would like it valued, but I cant find any info on it whatso ever. any help identifying it and a rough value, would be apprechiated

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 0
Oh wow……

That is a special guitar because of the clues it holds for a very mysterious period at Tokai.

Your guitar is from the era that Tokai was making guitars for Fender. And they had no serial numbers. But yours does! Amazing.

Should be 2007. Headstock makes me think SEB model. Not cheap guitars. And a rosewood slab fretboard.

Do you have any pictures under the pickguard?

And thanks for sharing this. It’s an amazing piece of history for Tokai geeks like me. :cool:

I can't find it in any of the catalogs that I have.

When you can, remove the pickguard and take a lot of pictures. There will be clues under there no doubt in the body routs and ink stamps and the pickups and electronics.

And here’s what I mean about it looking like an SEB model.

Edit: not an SEB

GS model for sure.

Note the pickguard and headstock shape.

Likely made in 2008 or 2009.

Tokai GS 118 SEB TB | Reverb

IMG_2939.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like possibly a GS100 ?

Candy apple red sparkle. Bone nut, Floyd rose trem. Imaculate, unused - still has protective film over scratchplate. Quality instrument - google Tokai GS100 and visit Official Tokai website for details. Will include the also as new hard case in the sale.

Tokai GS 100 Stratocaster type guitar | #814472636

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 9.24.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 9.24.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 9.24.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 9.24.41 AM.png

Last edited:
So possibly a 2007 GS100R ?

I'm not sure what color that would be?

Antique ivory?

Here are the colors from the 2007 catalog:

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 9.27.06 AM.png

Last edited:
Oh wow……

That is a special guitar because of the clues it holds for a very mysterious period at Tokai.

Your guitar is from the era that Tokai was making guitars for Fender. And they had no serial numbers. But yours does! Amazing.

Should be 2007. Headstock makes me think SEB model. Not cheap guitars. And a rosewood slab fretboard.

Do you have any pictures under the pickguard?

And thanks for sharing this. It’s an amazing piece of history for Tokai geeks like me. :cool:
Thanks for the quick replies, sorry but I dont have any photos under the scratch plate, I'm not a modder, the guitar is in a virgin state apart from new strings. Several years ago I asked for advice on this guitar, and someone sent a pdf.file with a picture of it in one of the Tokai catalogues, I did save it at the time, but unfortunatly changed my computer, and lost a lot of info.

Here is the closest I can find.

2010 catalog.

Different pickup configuration and fretboard.

Scan 2.jpeg

SEB technology never really caught on. It was expensive to make and people never really got on board.

Your guitar is very likely and SEB, but hard to tell since it is painted and you are not willing to look under the pickguard.

So you have a bit of a mystery.

I would call it a 2007 GS at this point. Not sure which one exactly though.

Source:

Update - I mailed Tokai to ask for info. They sent the reply below - posting up for others who might be interested in this model

Thanks for your inquiry to Tokai Gakki.
GS models are out of production now.
It was produced around 2008-2012.

GS100 is not on the brochure.
Please see GS100 on following URL, P.U. is Tokai original parts.
The retail price is 73,500JPY at the time, the models are released for distributers in the world.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090805083618/http://www.theguitarshop.jp:80/e_guitar/gs/gs.html

I think it is the GS100. The GS85 had a different fretboard and pickup configuration.

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 10.15.55 AM.png

So technically is would be called the GS100 VWHR. "R" because of the rosewood fretboard.

And looks like it is NOT an SEB body.

Last edited:
A very big thank you for all the help, you solved a mystery thats been bugging me for ages, Once again a massive THANKS

Latest posts

Back