Help needed to perform setup

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartbreaker

Reaction score
My LS85F has some fret buzz on the low E and A string.
I tried to raise the bridge, but it didn't solve the problem. Maybe a neck relief will.
Anyway, I would like to know how to setup the tailpiece, because I have no idea.
Should I lower the tailpiece to the body? Shoud I raise it? Should it stay parallel to the body?

I'm not sure this is the right section for this, but I have similar problems with the same strings. Could someone give us some pointers or post some useful links before I shell out for a pro set-up and fret dress?

If it helps, in my case the truss rod as it came from the shop is almost as as slack as it will go - it looks like the only thing I can do is tighten it but I can never remember the pros and cons of backbow/frontbow and all that kind of thing.

I could just jack the bridge height up but I like a low(ish) action.

Can anyone help us?

Adjusting the tail piece isn't going to change neck relief at all, Heartbreaker, you need to adjust the truss rod for that.

Loosening the truss rod will add more relief, tightening will take it away.

As for the tailpiece, just slacken the strings and play with it. Take it as low as it can go (without the strings hitting the back of the bridge), and tune it up. See if you like it. Raise it up a bit. See if you like it more or less. Etc

Like rustyslide said, lowering the tailpiece didn't solve the problem.
This is my first guitar with stop tailpiece. The other two have floyd rose type tremolo and regular tremolo and I didn't how the tailpiece should be set.
I didn't want to mess with the trussrod on this guitar so soon, because it's only one month old, but it seems it's the way to go.

So if your strings are buzzing aginst the frets, in general terms should you tighten or loosen the trussrod?

Loosening the trussrod will give the neck relief therefore eliminating string buzz if the bridge is set correctly.

I recently worked on a Guild guitar that the trussrod was compleatly loose and could have used a touch more relief. I CAREFULLY applied pressure to the front of the neck with the use of a sofa (furniture) arm to get the desired relief. Again, all I needed was a touch. If you do not know what you are doing or have a doubt, pay a tech before you ruin an instrument.

Chico 8)

cherryburst said:
So if your strings are buzzing aginst the frets, in general terms should you tighten or loosen the trussrod?

You should take it to a luthier first !

If you loosen or tighen a trussrod by more then half a turn you could cause major damage.

Check relief first and see if it is positve or negative relief then go from there. It could also be an high fret or damaged string.

Fender Bullets require a much higher action then Elixer due to the way they are wound.

cherryburst said:
heartbreaker said:
cherryburst said:
I should loosen the trussrod.

The trussrod is about as slack as it will go. :-?
In your case, I would take the guitar to a professional.
I will probably do the same.

Thanks, if I can't get any joy I'll do that. The problem isn't drastic, it's just that I like a low action and there may be some frets that need dressed.

Back