Has Tokai LS-150 Graduated to LS-160 now?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Crossing

Reaction score
This is the same identical guitar I just purchased in December 2009, listed as model LS-150, and now after the Tokai price increase, it is listed as model LS-160. Apparently, Tokai changes some of their guitar model numbers according to their price tag, even with no build changes. I love Tokai's but this could get confusing when one is looking to purchase or sell a Tokai.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKAI-LS160-MI-Japan-NEW-long-tenon-VH-Nitro-w-OHC_W0QQitemZ270514036971QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efbe4a0eb

Yeh, I think you'll find one or two people around here who'll agree with you on that one. :D

This is not a very good practice cause it obsoletes the model for no good purpose. If the build is the same, why change the model no. just because they want to raise the selling price?

This particular guitar was originally advertised as an LS-150 model and since the price increase has changed to an LS-160 model. The serial is the same as when it was referenced as an LS-150. http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/pronounce04/vwp?.dir=/b5fc&.dnm=af7b.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Easy Crossing said:
This particular guitar was originally advertised as an LS-150 model and since the price increase has changed to an LS-160 model. The serial is the same as when it was referenced as an LS-150. http://photos.yahoo.co.jp/ph/pronounce04/vwp?.dir=/b5fc&.dnm=af7b.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Rip off in my opinion, BUT, I guess that's the way it works in Japan as the guitar builds don't change at all, only the price. It's not like the West where the new models arrive and immediately prices on the previous model drops, there isn't actually a new model here! I'll chalk it up to a different way of doing business/cultural differences. That's life! :-?

Has the price of the guitar changed as well, or just the designation?

Would be interesting to see what paperwork the buyer ends up with. Can't imagine that Tokai would change it so that it says LS160.

jyster said:
Yeh, I think you'll find one or two people around here who'll agree with you on that one. :D

It should be the forum motto:

Nice guitars, shame about the model numbering system!

It happened the same to Navigators who jump 100.000 yen up no less last year.....tha?ts a high if you compare to 10.000 yen increasing in Tokai...

BlueThird said:
Has the price of the guitar changed as well, or just the designation?

Would be interesting to see what paperwork the buyer ends up with. Can't imagine that Tokai would change it so that it says LS160.

Yes, the price of the guitar did increase from $1,504.00= LS-150 to $1,599.00= LS-160 with the model change. The model numbers seem to hover around the price of the guitar with Tokai.

Here is the warranty card that came with my guitar which shows it as a 2009 LS-150. There is no type of validation/markings on the guitar itself, not even in the cavities, that distinguishes it as an LS-150 or sets it apart from the LS-160, such as pieces/parts differences. Actually, when comparing serial number on my guitar with the LS-160, my guitar was built after the LS-160 model. I'm assuming that since the guitar on Ebay was initially listed as an LS-150 then bumped to an LS-160, then Tokai has provided and upgraded the paper work with new identity. Some boat manufactures are popular for this as well. If a boat doesn't sell within the model year they will change the title and abbreviate the HIN with the selling year, thus making it a newer model boat, as far as the paperwork and HIN are concerned, which helps preserve the value of the boat.

Serial.jpg

Latest posts

Back