guitar is microphonic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
Hello and help.

My fave st-60 has suddenly become unplayable and i'm gutted.

If I tap the knobs, , trem springs, pick guard, I hear the sound through my amp.

Any ideas on what is causing this and what may have caused the cause.

thanks.

Woz

Sounds like the pickups have gone microphonic. It's not a rare problem, I find it's particularly common with Japanese pickups though I have had an American Fender with the same problem.

The solution is to get the pickups wax potted. Take them out & send them off to any pickup manufacturer who offers the service. I've used Shed Pickups (in Wales), & they have always cured the problem for me, usually for around ?10 per pickup.

http://www.shedpickups.com/ - send Spence an e.mail.

After I got my 1980 Breezy TE70 I took it to rehearsal, & the bridge pickup was even more microphonic than I thought it would be - it howled at any kind of volume & the guitar was virtually unusable. ?10 later, after Spence @ Shed had sorted it out, it was great, & it's now the best sounding Tele I have. The neck pickup didn't need doing.

Some people will tell you to do it yourself, but I disagree - get a professional to do the job.

Mike

Paladin2019 said:
Grounding problem?

Take it apart and check for loose wiring connections.

+1

Mike, it doesn't sound like the pickups are at fault here, for the guitar to suddenly go from fine to unplayable suggests a grounding issue to me too.

Check for continuity between the wire soldered to the trem claw too the back of all the pots, the OP jack and the black lead on all the pickups, chanses are there's a wire fallen off somewhere that will need soldering back on.

There is continuity from all metal parts to the ground of the output jack. Still got to check rear of pots thopugh for continuity.

Seems weird that all picks should go at same time doesn't it.

I'll wax pot them if the rear pots are grounded. and hopefully that will sort it.

thanks.

It can't be the pickups, they wouldn't all go at once, it'll be a loose wire somewhere. You'll find it :D

Latest posts

Back