Greco pickup identification?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubblewrap

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I?ve got a little pickup problem for you/us all to try and solve. The pickups are from a Greco Super Real SA-900 (ES-335 copy) and the serial on the headstock implies that the guitar was made in 1980. According to the catalogue from that year, the guitar should come equipped with PU-2 pickups. However, when I googled PU-2 pickups I found that those pickups (usually?) came with the model name etched/stamped into the base plate, like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Greco_Maxon_PU-2.jpg

Being a Japanese pickup, I take it there?s always room for interpretation :)

Now to the details:
- neck pickup gave a reading of 8.06 with a multimeter, measured using a short cord from the output jack
- bridge pickup reads 8.07 using the same measuring technique
- both pickups have braided wire, a wire hole in one corner and some potting wax residue on the base plate
- both pickups have the same serial 210214 stamped on the base plate, which I?ve interpreted as Feb 14th, 1981. Feel free to correct :D

So what do you think? I take it these cannot be Dry-Z?s, because of the lack of the ?Z? stamps, but is there a way to confirm these as PU-2?s?

Neck pickup:
Greconeckpickup_zps2398af7c.jpg

Bridge pickup:
Grecobridgepickup_zps0ec8b244.jpg

Not all PU-2 were stamped. Since it was an SA-900 from 1980 and they are stamped with a 1981 code they may not be original. However, that said, maybe the they are and the guitar and pickup date codes are just overlapping.

I think these are probably U-1000 or U-2000 pickups thanks to the date code, resistance values, braided wire and lack of engraved base plates.

I would look at or post a pic of solder joints on pots to see if they have been resoldered, as confirmation pickups were swapped.

To determine if pickups are U-1000 or U-2000, you would need to measure continuity of a magnet.
Many U-1000's had ceramic magnets that would read as open. If they had Alnico 8's they would read 0 ohms. You would need a gauss meter to determine Alnico magnet types.

If they are U-2000's, both U-2000 and PU-2 resistance values are similar, and both use Alnico 5 magnets. U-2000's would be closest to PU-2 tones, but frequency ranges might differ slightly.

PU-2's did briefly feature inked model numbers on back plates instead of engraved ones, but these would have had earlier Maxon date codes.

Reborn Old said:
I think these are probably U-1000 or U-2000 pickups thanks to the date code, resistance values, braided wire and lack of engraved base plates.

I would look at or post a pic of solder joints on pots to see if they have been resoldered, as confirmation pickups were swapped.

To determine if pickups are U-1000 or U-2000, you would need to measure continuity of a magnet.
Many U-1000's had ceramic magnets that would read as open. If they had Alnico 8's they would read 0 ohms. You would need a gauss meter to determine Alnico magnet types.

If they are U-2000's, both U-2000 and PU-2 resistance values are similar, and both use Alnico 5 magnets. U-2000's would be closest to PU-2 tones, but frequency ranges might differ slightly.

PU-2's did briefly feature inked model numbers on back plates instead of engraved ones, but these would have had earlier Maxon date codes.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate your effort.

I need to look into taking pics of the pots and solder joints. I?ve never owned a semiacoustic before so the process of getting a pot out is beyond me at this point. Perhaps it isn?t as hard as it seems once you put your mind to it :D

Anyhow I?ll post pics if and when I get it done.

Unthreading one pot nearest the F hole would probably be good enough,
or earier yet, insert a small mirror through the F hole, if you have one that's small enough. A flash pic would probably be required if using a mirror.
The best method I found for removing sticky volume control knobs was levering them off with a pair of 180* opposed spoons, that rest on a towel or sock, in order to protect your guitars finish.
Using methods that don't exert equal pressure on each side can crack knobs.

Thanks for the advice, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Here's a picture of the volume pot for the bridge pickup:

The serial on the pot is 304072. I read somewhere that the first number indicates the value of the pot, which would mean this is a 300K pot? Other than that I think the soldering looks original, or at least untouched. There's also a capacitor (Fujicon 0.022) between the volume pot and the tone pot
(you can see some of it in the picture, bottom right).

Hello,

Sorry for hijacking this thread but i thought it would be better to ask here than to start a new thread.

I have a similar problem id:ing pickups from a 1980 egc800 super real. These should be pu-2s but they have no engraving on the baseplate. I asked the guys over at mylespaul.com and was told that if it had an alnico magnet it should be a pu-2 but i wanted to check with you guys aswell as you seem to have some more info. So...what do you think?

2yxhj78.jpg

as wolfman said .. look at the magnets ,,, alnico magnets ,,,, is only in the highend pickups ... ceramic are in the lower models
all the best
otto

Ok great! Two people telling me the same thing is good enough :). Sorry if i come out as a pain about this but i want to be as certain as i can be. Guess its time to be less anal about this and just enjoy them pickups!

one thing i know about MIJ ..... they never stop to surprice me ....
and it is only when they put a sticker on the pickups from 1982 to 1985/87
you can tell what pickup it is ... before 1982 ,, not easy if they dont dont have pu 2-u 3000-u4000 (just to name a few i have seen ) stamp on the back of pickup
but only the lower models have ceramic and the higher models have alnico
i have a few (+20) greco ... and have seen UD -u 1000-u2000 -PU2 -DRY 1982 -cheap tricks ...
and all the lower model have ceramic magnets ... does not mean the dont sound good ,,, :D :D :D just they used them
all the best
otto

Back