Greco on Ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Dirk, do you have a model no, serial number on the back of the headstock is there anything written on the back of the pickups.
As far as the mint collection in general is concerned i think they are the best Greco's they have made. Hopefully Villager will add to this as he has a few good ones and plenty of knowledge........cheers Mick

Looks to be Mint Collection, 1989 model, flame veneer over full thickness maple cap, long neck tenon. Appears to have a Tokai trusrrod cover but thats a minor thing. Normally would have creme rings, toggle tip, etc, but I've seen cherry red flametop Greco's that had black parts like that too, so may well be orig. parts. Could be an EG59-70 or so, and it looks NICE!

agree EG59-70 ...poly finish..

personally i prefer the EGF850 and above super Reals...same as the EG59-85 and higher mint coll ...but the superreals have fatter necks and fret binding,...only the mint coll EG59-120 and higher have fret binding.

It sure looks very '89! Maybe it's the black pup rings on the ketchupburst plaintop

Thanks for the info.

Serial number is 9 2647 (1989) and there is nothing wirten on the back of the pick-ups but there are 4 screws on the back.
How can you tell that the top is veneer? And how can you tell if it has a Poly or Nitro finish?

Dirk

Pauwels said:
Thanks for the info.

Serial number is 9 2647 (1989) and there is nothing wirten on the back of the pick-ups but there are 4 screws on the back.
How can you tell that the top is veneer? And how can you tell if it has a Poly or Nitro finish?

Dirk

All of the '89 models I've owned had the "no name" PAF style pickups.
I guess Greco stopped putting the little black stickers on the back
by then. I have an '89 cherry red flametop similar to that one with the "no name" PAF style humbuckers with double black exposed bobbins just like those. They seem hotter than "Screamin 82" models, but I honestly have no idea what they are. Most of these Greco humbuckers have a nice tone, but are not wax potted so if you are using a high gain amp they will squeal depending on proximity to your speakers. By far, my favorite Greco buckers are the Dry models. Very sweet!

You can see the thin veneer in the pickup cavity photos if you look closely, the thin top layer is a little darker because the maple absorbs the paint color a little differently. Since the frets don't have the edge binding it is quite unlikely that its a Nitro finish. I'm betting is poly, but thats not a strike against it. All my Greco Mint Collections have a nice thin factory poly and they sound superb. If you can find one that weighs around 8 lbs, you will likely have a winner.

Good to know. Thanks for the info fiftywat.
I'm still a bit confused about the Nitro and Poly finish, what is what.
Is a Poly finish weaker or cheaper then a Nitro one? Has it got anything influence on the tone of the guitar?

Dirk

Looks like a '89 MC to me BUT with the Tokai truss rod cover & black pup surrounds, you gatta wonder what someone else has changed besides the obvious

good luck.................................

Hi fiftywatt,

I would like to ask how to identify Greco DRY pickups. I have a 1979 made Greco Les Paul Standard copy. I bought it used with the double cream bobbins already exposed.

Thanks.

The only DRY pickups I've seen were on a Mint Collection RR-65 Randy Rhoads replica, which was a creme white LP Custom style. In the Mint Collection years, the Greco pickups had little black "faux PAF" stickers on the back of the baseplates. These stickers would say "Double Trick", "Dry 1982", "Screamin 1982" etc. The earlier "DRY Z" are from the Super Real era and have a Z inkstamped on the backs of the pickups. Maybe Villager will offer some comments here.. my experience is limited to a dozen or so MC model Grecos.

Pauwels said:
Well the Greco is sold. The price is 585 euro. Isn't that just a bit to much?

Dirk

Seriously? That guitar could easily go for $800 US or indeed more.
Helluva lot of Lester for that money too. :D

Latest posts

Back