What Model? 1982 Greco Super Real EGF? EG58? EG59?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegcityrocker

Reaction score
Recently picked up this 1982 Greco from Japan. Not sure what model it is but is certainly a transition model that still used the Super Real on the headstock. I had it refinished with analine dye and lacquer. Was a horrible cherry burst when i bought it.

The pickups have been replaced with Gibson 57 Classics so that doesn’t help with identification. The top is nice - probably a veneer. Back looks like it might be a two piece center seam. Looks like one piece but probably is two.
Fret edge binding. Lightweight tailpiece. Mint collection logo. Lightweight. Weighs 8.7 lbs. Fretboard? Maybe Braz? Hard to tell. Nice chocolate brown.

Any idea what this might be???

IMG_7906.jpeg
IMG_7912.jpegIMG_7908.jpegIMG_7910.jpegIMG_7911.jpeg

most likely either an EG59-85 or EG59-100 based on (1) veneer top (2) CRS top color

too bad it doesn't have the Double Trick (85) or Dry (100) pups .......

That refinish looks fantastic, whatever model it is you must be stoked. (y)

most likely either an EG59-85 or EG59-100 based on (1) veneer top (2) CRS top color

too bad it doesn't have the Double Trick (85) or Dry (100) pups .......
I agree. The original TRC and nut appear to have been replaced as well.

The CRS color on the '82 Mint Collection guitars can be quite nice because they are often more like a darker Heritage Dark Cherry finish than other years.

Last edited:
Yes I put a different trc on it. I still have the original. The nut is original to the guitar. You can the original lacquer on the side of the nut.

The original cherry burst covered up the nice flame that was hidden underneath.

Recently picked up this 1982 Greco from Japan. Not sure what model it is but is certainly a transition model that still used the Super Real on the headstock. I had it refinished with analine dye and lacquer. Was a horrible cherry burst when i bought it.

The pickups have been replaced with Gibson 57 Classics so that doesn’t help with identification. The top is nice - probably a veneer. Back looks like it might be a two piece center seam. Looks like one piece but probably is two.
Fret edge binding. Lightweight tailpiece. Mint collection logo. Lightweight. Weighs 8.7 lbs. Fretboard? Maybe Braz? Hard to tell. Nice chocolate brown.

Any idea what this might be???

View attachment 38600
View attachment 38601View attachment 38602View attachment 38603View attachment 38604

probably an egf 59-100. Is that the guitar that a guy on the gibson forum bought because it had a bad veneer, so he replaced the veneer and refinished it? It looks like he tried to do an ice tea burst but didn't quite get the colors right. It's a nice guitar though. I have one and I really like it. Depending on the music you play, the 57 classics could work better than the dry 1982. If you like metal and really high gain then those classics will do the job for you.

Back