Greco "Custom"?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJorMIK

Reaction score
I've read the Wikipedia article about Greco guitars indicating that
late 70s-early 80's Les Pauls might have been pancake models (Multiple pieces of wood for the body) that an no visible serial number, nor does the owner (typical for a for sale axe) know the model number even though he's obviously had the pickups out (thats where the red/green/gray wires are shown. I hope somebody knows what this might be. I'm most concerned that it could be newer than late 70's-80's and since the finish is black I'm not able to tell the body piece count from pictures. Thanks for your help.

Russ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290483531391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I think I answered enough of my own questions "After further review.." by reading this statement from the Wiki on Greco Guitars and looking at this Evil-bay offering, specifically the pup cavities...

"The Cor-Tek made Greco guitars have square shaped, brick like nuts with no slope and also often have shielding paint in the pickup and control cavities."

Since the cavities clearly look painted to me, I have to ***-u-me that its a CorT made Greco and as such I'm not interested.

Any flaw in my logic besides the Cor-Tek part being inferior workmanship/components?

Thanks,

Russ

There's one distinct tell tale sign that it can't be made earlier than 1989 and that's the shape of the diamond on the headstock.
Then there's no serial, squared long tenon, block nut and red/green pup wire which all say Korean.

I'm the owner and there is no markings in the pickup cavity. I told you through e-mail that you can retract your bid if you want. All you have to do is click on the "retract bid" tab. I am not here to decieve anyone. I answered all your questions thouroughly in an e-mail. I dissagree with you on a few points. You said it couldn't be MIJ because it had a rosewood fretboard, small pots when even orville's come with em, painted cavity? haven't seen an MIJ custom that wasn't, and a few other things. I listed it to the best of my knowledge. Good luck!

Also all of the MIK guitars have a lighter rosewood fretboard with a very very flat profile that isn't even close to MIJ or gibson. this guitar has an exact gibson profile fretboard radius. And it's easy to tell the difference in the craftsmanship, also the wood used. Plus most MIK's weren't made out of mohagany so they are way lighter than this one.

holt1 said:
I'm the owner and there is no markings in the pickup cavity. I told you through e-mail that you can retract your bid if you want. All you have to do is click on the "retract bid" tab. I am not here to decieve anyone. I answered all your questions thouroughly in an e-mail. I dissagree with you on a few points. You said it couldn't be MIJ because it had a rosewood fretboard, small pots when even orville's come with em, painted cavity? haven't seen an MIJ custom that wasn't, and a few other things. I listed it to the best of my knowledge. Good luck!

Also all of the MIK guitars have a lighter rosewood fretboard with a very very flat profile that isn't even close to MIJ or gibson. this guitar has an exact gibson profile fretboard radius. And it's easy to tell the difference in the craftsmanship, also the wood used. Plus most MIK's weren't made out of mohagany so they are way lighter than this one.

Let me ask you a question:
Which MIJ factory do you think made this guitar?

In the late 80s only 3 factories made Greco LPCs:
1. Fujigen (Japan)
2. Tokai (Japan)
3. Cor tek (Korea)

Just looking at the neck pup cav will show you the differences between the 3:

This is a Fujigen made Greco:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/july2010/grecoegc6850lpcblack5316?p=31&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2
oval tab routing, wire drilling on right side of pup cav, long ROUNDED tenon, braided pup wire, normal pup cav shape

This is a Tokai made Greco:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/february2010/grecoegc75white4972?p=32&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2
square tab routing, diagonal wire drilling (coming out of the left side of the pup cav), short tenon, braided pup wire, modelnr in neck pup cav, normal pup cav shape

This is a Cor tek made Greco:
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/june2010/grecoeg600lpcblack5260?p=31&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2
oval tab routing, wire drilling on the right side of pup cav, long SQUARE tenon, coloured pup wire, shielding paint in cav, triangular pup cav corner shape

Apart from this, the following is typical for Cor tek:
-neck volute
-multipiece neck
-block nut
-no serial or model nr at all
-small pots

Now tell me at what factory your guitar is made?

Back