Greco Clear Sound Project

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's quite odd, Freebird - it has the Mint Collection open 'o' but the "strange" HS inlay and it has fret nibs! Nothing of that seems to make sense! :)

There are currently ~10 past SA-90 offers to be found on Reverb and they all don't have fret nibs, AFAIK they were abandoned altogether with the Mint Collection series. But one of them has fret nibs, that one also has a regular old sticker in it, with another sticker on the sticker apparently changing the model number from "SA900" to "61-90". That one has the closed 'o' and the strange inlay.
The same guitar (S/N 1 3661) was sold a few years earlier and dated as "1981" which I deemed wrong, given the "SA61-90" model number, but maybe that's actually an overstock Super Real era (1981) SA900, and maybe so is yours?

Back to the "strange" headstock inlay - this is very confusing, too: That thing shows up already in the 1981 catalog on the SA900 (so it's not "newer"), but real life 1981 "Super Real"-era SA900s can also be seen with a proper (without the bite mark) crown inlay and bell TRC.

My takeaway: Grecos can drive you bonkers, too. :)

What was the basis for determining that this guitar was made by Tokai Musical Instruments?

yv43z4gfrr1ygvtfkllx.jpgi7q51282i5edgzfl6zqr.jpg
This is a deep joint of two 1990 SA-75 seen in reverb.
I think 1990 SA-75 has the longest joint of any Greco guitar.
It's a deeper joint than Gibson.

My guitar will arrive tomorrow, so I'll be checking it out soon.

What was the basis for determining that this guitar was made by Tokai Musical Instruments?
I would say the pickup cavity routing style and the no serial number. I have seen several Tokai made Greco Les Paul “EG” style guitars over the years also with same pickup cavity routing and no serial number. Based on my research that happened for a short period of time in the very early 1990s.
It would be interesting to compare the pickup cavity routing style and the neck tenon length with an early 1990s era Tokai branded 335 style guitar.

I would say the pickup cavity routing style and the no serial number. I have seen several Tokai made Greco Les Paul “EG” style guitars over the years also with same pickup cavity routing and no serial number. Based on my research that happened for a short period of time in the very early 1990s.
It would be interesting to compare the pickup cavity routing style and the neck tenon length with an early 1990s era Tokai branded 335 style guitar.
Great information.
Thank you so much!

Even so, it is very interesting that in 1990, Tokai Musical Instruments and Fuji String Instruments were simultaneously making SA type guitars for the Greco brand.

I'm guessing that my guitar, which will arrive tomorrow, is from Fuji String Instruments, but either way, I'm really looking forward to it.

The uploaded images are posted with the permission of the previous owner, but they are all out of focus. I will upload the properly re-shot. Including internal images that have not been published.

This figure top gives an extremely mysterious impression.
It's not Flame, it's not a bubble, it's not Bird's Eye.

Countless △ mountains emerge in 3D depending on the angle.
I have never seen a top of a figure maple like this other than this guitar.
What do you think, folks?

Latest posts

Back