Gotoh Locking Tuners! Anyone try these on your Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyvasil

Reaction score
I have a Tokai LS-230 made in 2007 with Kluson style tuners and I was curious about trying out these Gotoh locking kluson style tuners. They seem to be a direct drop in fit.

I was hoping someone here had tried them and can tell me if they fit as they are or do I need new bushings or maybe the whole tuner just doesn't line up and I will need to drill holes, which I do NOT want to do.

I am talking about this tuner:
http://www.gpdusa.com/Gotoh_Locking_Tuners_3X3-Gotoh_3x3_Magnum_Locking_Tuners_w_SL_Head_NKL.html

billyvasil said:
I have a Tokai LS-230 made in 2007 with Kluson style tuners and I was curious about trying out these Gotoh locking kluson style tuners. They seem to be a direct drop in fit.

I was hoping someone here had tried them and can tell me if they fit as they are or do I need new bushings or maybe the whole tuner just doesn't line up and I will need to drill holes, which I do NOT want to do.

I am talking about this tuner:
http://www.gpdusa.com/Gotoh_Locking_Tuners_3X3-Gotoh_3x3_Magnum_Locking_Tuners_w_SL_Head_NKL.html

No offense but why in the world would you put locking tuners on? They're a pain in the *** for string changes. If you're concerned about string slippage, there are several different ways to lock wrap them on the tuning peg:

http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/5/O/1/chstr_fig9.jpg

Bought a strat with them factory fitted,replaced them fairly rapidly with standard items.They do cut strings well , I will say!!!

I have a US Deluxe Strat with the locking tuners and it makes string changes a snap! The tuners on the guitar work OK but I was just considering the possibility of these other tuners.

No offense taken guys! Just asking around about these tuners.

I do string up my acoustic and other guitars with the wrap around trick. I read about it in the Erlewine book. I just like modding things, I guess it's a bad thing but I can't help but trying to improve an already pretty awesome guitar.

Observe...

restring1.jpg

That being said, my LS is the only guitar out of 6 that doesn't have locking tuners haha
________
Vapor lounge

marcusnieman said:
No offense but why in the world would you put locking tuners on? They're a pain in the *** for string changes. If you're concerned about string slippage, there are several different ways to lock wrap them on the tuning peg:

http://z.about.com/d/guitar/1/5/O/1/chstr_fig9.jpg

Er, haven't you got that round the wrong way? Locking tuners are much better for string changes IMO. My Momose Strat came standard with the Gotoh locking tuners and they work great.

Having said that, there is really no need for them (from a tuning point of view) on a non-tremolo guitar such as a LP if you do the proper string locking technique a la Martin Guitars (NB this is not the same as what is shown above although that method is probably OK as well - my Bacchus Duke had this type of winding from the factory and it was fine).

JVsearch said:
Er, haven't you got that round the wrong way? Locking tuners are much better for string changes IMO. My Momose Strat came standard with the Gotoh locking tuners and they work great.

The Kluson type with the screw down tops are garbage

billyvasil said:
Really? Why? What is wrong with them?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but they are a pain in the *** to jack with. They also have shorter posts to wind around but hey, they're locking tuners and you don't need to wind around as many times??

Why do you want them - simply as an uprgrade or for function such as string slippage? (which again you can avert and save some cash by lock wrapping your strings on a standard tuner and stretching your strings before tuning). You don't have a trem on a Les Paul that is more of an issue and de-tuning on a Strat.

This is strictly my opinion.... if you want locking tuners, then go for it. I just find them cumbersome and using them adds another step to stringing your guitar

Not sure which ones you're talking about Marcus, but the ones on the Momose are hot ****, you just put the end of the string in the hole leave about an inch of slack (more for the plain strings) then turn the peg. Somehow it locks itself and starts tightening like normal. Do the reverse to get the strings off.

They recommend one to 1.5 turns with wound strings and max 3 turns with plain strings, and mine are the Gotoh Magnums that look almost the same as the original Kluson tuners. They're pretty good! :)

Of course if you don't change strings for a long time I can see that there's a risk of the locking bit sticking or being difficult to undo... we'll see.

Here's the proper string locking technique, and it's every bit as good as locking tuners!

stringthis.jpg

JVsearch said:
Not sure which ones you're talking about Marcus

I'm talking about these:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3505521575_3069314f40.jpg

Vintage style tuner. These are from Gotoh. The shaft is two piece and the slots in the top piece are for a screwdriver to tighten down.

You loosen the top piece until it's string through hole aligns with the bottom string through hole. You put the string through it and tighten down the top piece to clamp down on the string. Notice how much shorter the shaft on the low E string when it's screwed all the way down?

They are a royal pain in the arse - hate em.

OK, I can see that those tuners might be a pain. I am beginning to think it is not worth the money or trouble if that is the mechanism on all gotoh tuners!

billyvasil said:
OK, I can see that those tuners might be a pain. I am beginning to think it is not worth the money or trouble if that is the mechanism on all gotoh tuners!

Still curious why you wanted them. The various examples of lock wrapping your strings at the post work like a charm to avert slippage or sticking at the nut. Be sure to rub a sharpened pencil tip in the nut slots to lubricate them with a bit of graphite.

I have never used locking tuners and have absolutely no trouble keeping my guitars in tune. I think it is better to "learn" a basic guitar and setup and benefit from knowing how to string up properly than to just use technology just for the sake of it. I sold a wine red OBG to a young guy who just "had to have" locking tuners, extra holes and all and his guitar still goes out of tune because he has no idea of how to "bed" in new strings. There are only so many short cuts that will help, knowing how to do proper set ups is fairly easy and once learned never forgotten... The standard tuners are good quality and all that is needed.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I have never used locking tuners and have absolutely no trouble keeping my guitars in tune. I think it is better to "learn" a basic guitar and setup and benefit from knowing how to string up properly than to just use technology just for the sake of it. I sold a wine red OBG to a young guy who just "had to have" locking tuners, extra holes and all and his guitar still goes out of tune because he has no idea of how to "bed" in new strings. There are only so many short cuts that will help, knowing how to do proper set ups is fairly easy and once learned never forgotten... The standard tuners are good quality and all that is needed.

Mick

+1

I certainly would never ever drill holes just to use a locking tuner, or even enlarge an existing hole for that matter. To be honest locking tuners have never interested me either, but the ones that came standard on the Momose look almost the same as a Kluson (I like the look of Klusons), fix on in the same way, and make string changes easier. They were a nice bonus I guess.

The truth is that most tuning issues aren't solved by locking tuners and if you lock wind your strings with only one to two turns this has the same effect as using a locking tuner. :)

Latest posts

Back