gibsonles paul and their tokai model equivalent

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaifreak

Reaction score
I want to possibly purchase a tokai with similar specs to a gibson les paul standard.
In terms of quality and playability,and choice of woods what are the tokai equivalent models for the following:
(for example I have read that an ls 75 tokai is the equivalent of a les paul classic)

what is the equivalent model numbers for a gibson les paul standard
or an ephiphone elitist?

tokaifreak said:
(for example I have read that an ls 75 tokai is the equivalent of a les paul classic)

It doesn't work like that. There are no 'equivalent' models for each les paul model that gibson does. Most tokais are based on 1958/59 dimensions and appearances and there is no real equivalent to the Classic or the Studio for example.

The LS75 is a les paul standard with a solid colour finish.
The LS80 is a les paul standard with a burst finish and plain top.
The LS85F is a les paul standard with a flame top.
The LS90Q is a les paul standard with a quilt top.

Then there are the higher spec models like the LS125 which are more like the Gibson custom shop stuff but cost MUCH less.

A LS 85F or LS90Q is as good or better than a Classic or Standard. I own both and see LOTS of Les Pauls. If you go into a shop and play a Classic or Standard they won't sound any different really besides the pickups. LS125's and up will be more like a custom shop and the higher you go in spec they get closer to Gibsons Historic line. I will tell you that the above mentioned Tokai's in many aspects are much closer to the original Les Pauls than Gibsons regular Classics or standards, other than the Gibson Historic line there are NO Gibson models that get as close to the original Les Pauls as the Tokai's do. Add a aluminum tailpiece and upgrade the pickups and caps and your Tokai LS85 model becomes an even better guitar for very little money and is then very close to the Historics. Elitists are very good too, I have owned these also but I think the Tokai is a better guitar in the same price range and hands down is a better playing Les paul than ANY Gibson I have ever owned or played.

Bob

In my opinion these are the equivalents.

LS80F-LS85Q=Gibson Les Paul Standard line (slight advantage given to the Gibson only due to the pickups and having a real solid flame top rather than a veneer.)

LS150 a step above the Standard Gibson Les Paul with the exception of it's pickups.

LS200 not really a comparable guitar due to it's ebony fretboard.

LS320 and LS380 are equivalent to a Gibson Historic 1959 reissue. The LS-320 actually has a brazilian board which on the commparable Historic Gibson runs around 8K.

One last note is that lower level Tokai's are finished in Polyurethane rather than the nitrocellulose Gibson uses. I did a repair on a LS-200 and low and behold I found polyurethane on the headstock. Tokai says it's finished in laquer but the headstock absolutely was done in Poly.

buckwild said:
I did a repair on a LS-200 and low and behold I found polyurethane on the headstock. Tokai says it's finished in laquer but the headstock absolutely was done in Poly.

The 200 is a bit of an odd one. I've heard several theories on how it is finished. One was that it has one undercoat of poly to bypass the absorption stages of nitro application. Another is that some parts are finished nitro and some poly.

On mine, you can see that the finish has 'wrinkled' on the maple top somewhat due to the flame lines absorbing the finish differently. That's definate nitro.

You mentioned about the Ls 125....but what about the Ls 130 seb? I am dying to get my hands on that one...but i dont know 4 sure if it is worth the money

Latest posts

Back