Fretboard inlay finish flaw

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratmoto said:
Donkey Oaty said:
On the back of a Gibson LP standard neck it says " Sponsored by Isopon P38 )

For those in the USA ( Sponsored by Bondo ) :wink:

For those in Oz ( Sponsored by LITE N EASY ) :wink:

It just show that in the USA , Oz and Blighty we all speak some form of English :lol:

Bog. That is the colloquialism most commonly used around the motor repairers.

You would say " I will put some bog in the fretboard" :eek: Is it different in the UK?

In the UK they call it tonse ( well they did back in the 80's ). I used to work in a car repair shop as a kid and oftern you would hear one of the panel beaters say " Knock up some tonse and whack it in the dent ", After watching American Hotrod I noticed they call it Bondo ?

Sounds a bit kinky to me, Tonse or Bondo :lol:

colinhotrod said:
Silver said:
@colin:
You mean "Only Gibson is good enough"? :)

Nah Gibson are cheating. just had a look at my wine red studio. Notice the radiused corners along with the radiused dish inlays to match.

My SG75 is like the first pic in the first post but hardly noticable due to the rosewood neck. Sharp corners of the inlays much more pleasing to the eyes.

Gibby have the sharp corners without filler on the Historics, but they only started doing it in 2003. The ten years of Historic production prior to that (1993-2003) all had the rounded corner inlays.

THE RISING FORCE said:
tokai should maintain perfection...we want 99.9% perfection tok! listen to us

Shows you can only get what you pay for, though I expect more on a LS150 or higher. My 100 has the same fillers, but from more than 2-3 feet away, you can't see it. I would rather see real MOP than have the edges perfect, but that's just me. Best of both worlds; well, my USA Jacksons have perfect MOP inlays, but I bought them used for 1200 to 1500. Even though they are mint, their $2500 US new.

I have an LS-150 on it's way from Japan to USA right now. Before I purchased the guitar, as I knew about the inlay issues with Tokai's, I looked as close as possible at the inlays for any evidence of filler, which I didn't see any. But the pictures weren't that detailed so who knows. If there is a great issue with the inlays I will probably just replace them.

Easy Crossing said:
I have an LS-150 on it's way from Japan to USA right now. Before I purchased the guitar, as I knew about the inlay issues with Tokai's, I looked as close as possible at the inlays for any evidence of filler, which I didn't see any. But the pictures weren't that detailed so who knows. If there is a great issue with the inlays I will probably just replace them.

I wouldn't call it an "issue" now and again you may get one that is not perfect but there is no reason to change out the inlays. Just wait till you get it, you'll see... :wink:

Mick

My LS135 has just a small circle of filler on each corner, and it's barely visible.
Stop being such pussies and go play your guitars. :lol:

SkyNet3D said:
My LS135 has just a small circle of filler on each corner, and it's barely visible.
Stop being such pussies and go play your guitars. :lol:

:lol: Well said - if I played HALF as much as I cruised around this site and others looking at gear, I'd be frickin' Clapton by now!!! :roll:

Jason

I raised the same question some time ago considering fretboard inlays, filler etc. and some people thought that only top quality inlays should be expected
on the most expensive top range Tokais, good thing inlays don?t change the sound !

:)

Big Willie Style said:
Just took a look at the inlays on my '05 LS-150. They look great. There is a VERY small amount of filler around the corners of a couple of the inlays but most are very clean.

Jason

A 2005 Ls150?

Id love to see Photos of it, i got a 2005 Ls150 too!

Latest posts

Back