eBay lose on counterfeit suit in France

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratmoto

Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/ebay-fined-over-counterfeit-goods/2008/06/05/1212258942844.html

Maybe, just maybe it is worthwhile reporting them

A 1979 LS120, or Springy etc from the same period, are allegedly fakes. And any Rockinbetter of any age on eBay works the the Rick-Police into a frenzy ... (go look at some of the Rick Forums and marvel at the self-righteous twaddle).

It's an interesting moral argument. How complicit are eBay in fraudulent transactions? It's easy to have some sympathy with them - after all, we sometimes have a job identifying fake Tokais, Gibsons, Fenders etc, so how can they be expected to know? Particularly as they have to be experts on not just guitars, but handbags, cars, etc. etc.

On the other hand, when you look at how big their cut is (double the amount if Paypal get involved too), it's clear that they must take some responsibility. In a similar way to a pimp having to take some responsibility for the ladies who earn him his living, perhaps? :eek:

:p

Mike

Interesting. In our market sector, I have reported umpteen dodgy/fake/couterfeit auctions to ebay over the past 4 years with about 2% positive response. For example, they removed the auction listing. So this is good news and if ebay get stung for $50 Million in damages then f**k em....they deserve it.

Don't forget you ebay buyers and sellers. As of June 21st it's PayPal ONLY in Australia as the method of payment either buying or selling. They claim safer trading. Bull***t!! More like a safer way for them to make even more money. :evil:

What??!! With big sales (like guitars) I always prefer to collect the item and pay cash on collection if possible. I prefer sales to work this way too. Are you saying that eBay are going to ban us from doing that in future?

That will double the fees payable, and make selling guitars far less attractive.

I think it fair to say ebay do not care.

However...whilst those knowingly selling fakes deserve to be punished, anyone who buys 'designer gear' or 'brand makes' at stupidly low prices must know its a fake surely?

I received this from eBay today:

Effective from 9 July 2008, PayPal will change its fee structure to make it more attractive for our UK customers to send personal payments. We are pleased to announce that:

PayPal will not charge a recipient (regardless of their account type) of a PayPal payment if that payment was funded by the sender's bank account or PayPal balance and it is designated a Personal Payment

PayPal will apply a fee for payments received for Personal Payments or Commercial Payments if such a payment is funded by a credit or debit card, however for Personal Payments funded by a card, the sender will have the option of paying the fees for that payment

Also, PayPal will no longer require its customers to upgrade from a Personal Account to a Premier or Business Account once it has received a total of ?250

Consequently the following amendments to the PayPal User Agreement will be applicable for UK customers:
Clause 8 will be amended (where relevant) to provide that:

Receiving Personal Payments which are also Balance/Bank Funded Payments will be free

Receiving Personal Payments and/or Commercial Payments which are also Card Funded Payments will be charged at these standard rates:

3.4% + Fixed Fee For each domestic payment transaction.
3.9% + Fixed Fee For each cross border payment transaction

Merchant Rates

(based on monthly transaction volume & one-off application)
1.4% - 2.9% + Fixed Fee For each domestic payment transaction
1.9% - 3.9% + Fixed Fee For each cross border payment transaction

The monthly volume tiers applicable to these Merchant rates are further described in the Fees section accessible from every page of the PayPal Website.
The Fixed Fee will be (depending on the payment currency):

?0.20 GBP ?40.0 JPY 1.35 PLN
?0.35 EUR $0.40 AUD 90.0 HUF
$0.30 USD 0.55 CHF 10.00 CZK
$0.30 CAD 2.80 NOK $0.50 SGD
$4.00 MXN 3.25 SEK $2.35 HKD
1.20 ILS 2.60 DKK $0.45 NZD

UK registered Users who receive payments in Euros from other European User countries will receive a 0.5% reduction in the variable amount of the applicable cross border fee.

The sender of a Personal Payment which is also a Card Funded Payment may choose to pay the Fee applicable to that payment.
Clause 15 will include the following new definitions:

"Commercial Payment" means a payment which is not a Personal Payment (including, without limitation a payment associated with an eBay item and/or other goods or services).

"Personal Payment" means a payment made for the purpose of either your personal, family and/or household affairs.

Clauses 4.1, 4.2, 4.4(c), 4.9 will no longer apply to UK customers.

Long winded, but generally a good thing. Isn't it? :eek: Or have I missed something?

I've just cancelled my ebay account and sent them a scorching email.

I'm sick of taking all the grief from numpty buyers and general abusiveness of some individuals. This seems to have been getting worse and worse. All ebay seems interesting in is treating buyers as gods and sellers as dogs. I'm all for buyer protection (hell I buy enough stuff on there) but whose looking out for sellers - especially people like me who sell the odd item here and there.

So anyone know of any other auction sites?

Latest posts

Back