Do Tokai STs tend to be heavy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashbrook

Reaction score
Only wondering as I'm looking for a new Strat to replace my Strat Plus, one of the reasons being the weight which is 8lb 10oz.

Ideally, I'd like something under 8lb, 7.5lb or lower would be brilliant.

My first proper guitar was a Springy that I bought new in about 82-83. Foolishly I sold it a few years later but I now realise it was a pretty decent strat. I seem to recall it being reasonably light and great sounding so I still have a soft spot for Tokai strats.

I've been looking/asking about a couple of Tokais and they have all been over 8lb, sometimes over 9lb.

I know I'm generalising from an incredibly small sample size but are the Tokais generally heavy for strat style guitars?

mine (84 goldstar) is really light, i think. I haven't weighed it, but it seems light compared to most of my other guitars.

obviously that's only a tiny sample size, too. :lol: I've tried a bunch of other goldstars but I can't remember anything about their weight.

8.10 lbs is abnormal heavy for a strat. From my experience are vintage STs in the 7.5-7.8 lbs range

jacco said:
8.10 lbs is abnormal heavy for a strat. From my experience are vintage STs in the 7.5-7.8 lbs range

I know. It's not unusual for a guitar from the late 80s but I bought a Squier CV 50s strat a couple of years ago that weighs only 7lbs 2oz and whenever I swap back to the Fender I hate it because of the weight!

I was just wondering if the Tokais tend to be any lighter but my limited research has not helped.

The latest US Strats I've seen locally are all over 8lbs - some significantly so. The only guitar I've found that seemed lighter was a Mex Classic Player 60s so I might just end up getting one of those (it felt nice too).

It's just that I would like a nice Tokai ST, for old times sake. I have a mid 80s breezy that feels great at 7 1/2 lbs (unfortunatley it's very ugly due to the dents and horribly mismatched body timber).

I never noticed any of mine being heavy but I don't weigh my guitars or really care about that.

I don't think you can generalize by brand. Just judge each guitar on its own.

Cali Girl said:
I never noticed any of mine being heavy but I don't weigh my guitars or really care about that.

I don't think you can generalize by brand. Just judge each guitar on its own.

I didn't care about it either until I had a few years of back/spinal problems and some shoulder surgery a few months ago. I now really enjoy the comfort of a lighter guitar!

I know what you are saying about not being able to generalise by brand - there are light and heavy variants within all the major guitar types.

I have however decided to replace the Strat Plus and replace it with something lighter and I was just after pointers really as to whether any particular model/year Tokai Springys tend to be lighter.

I only really asked as the only Springy local enough for me to try turned out to be over 9lbs and that's what triggered the (admittedly very general) question.

Thanks for the thoughts and enjoy being fit enough not to have to care!

villager said:
each one is different theres no general rule re year or model number
Thanks for that. This seems to be the general picture and I'll just need to look at them on a guitar by guitar basis. Not easy unless I'm lucky enough to get one locally but I'll keep trying.

BTW, Those JV62s you've got on your site look rather saucy!

Back