cts pots on an '85 LS80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesemaphore

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed and some people hate CTS pots but just to try to clarify a couple of things, in case I want to go with'50's wiring

Can you fit them without changing existing knobs or enlarging holes

Is it a good idea to remove the pcb from what is I suppose a vintage tokai

should I just do the minimum and replace the caps on the board with PIO's
( I know that some also think this unnecessary)

should I just shut up and play my guitar

thanks guys

:D

stevesemaphore said:
Can you fit them without changing existing knobs or enlarging holes

Is it a good idea to remove the pcb from what is I suppose a vintage tokai

should I just do the minimum and replace the caps on the board with PIO's
( I know that some also think this unnecessary)

should I just shut up and play my guitar

1. No, the holes are metric size (smaller in this case), CTS are Imperial.
2. Yes, if you want to change the pots, no if you don't.
3. Depends who you believe.
4. Probably we all should!

Mike

Thanks for the speedy reply Mike ...I knew I'd get a definitive answer on this one :D

I think I'll just wait and see.... some ideas just go away if you ignore them for long enough

I knew the alpha pots would fit and I know there has been lots of discussion about the merits of CTS, stiffness etc but wasn't sure if the alpha pots would be significantly different than what's there already...the pcb just doesn't seem right though...and the original pots don't feel very "positive", might be just me being ocd. Perhaps it's better to take one step at a time and evaluate rather than tearing it all out.

Well, a set of Alphas will cost you around ?10. If you replace the PCB with Alphas & you like the result, you could always decide to go further & get the CTS pots (and enlarge the holes) later.

Just a thought....

http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsPots.htm

stevesemaphore said:
I knew the alpha pots would fit and I know there has been lots of discussion about the merits of CTS, stiffness etc but wasn't sure if the alpha pots would be significantly different than what's there already...the pcb just doesn't seem right though...and the original pots don't feel very "positive", might be just me being ocd. Perhaps it's better to take one step at a time and evaluate rather than tearing it all out.

Reading this makes me think you're not happy with the current set up, especially the pots. So it would make sense to do something about the pots. If you do, I think it's best take out the complete PCB board and leave it intact, so you can put it back in when needed later. So start with alpha pots and see how that works for you.
Apart from this: there's only a little filing needed to make the holes bigger to fit the CTS pots, no big deal. Also there's CTS pots on the market which even make alpha pots feel stiff. I use them & love them:
http://www.crazyparts.de/00000099561085602/00000098bf0c46d0c/index.php

Thanks..good advice all round. I'll go with alpha's first and move to cts if they don't suit. I can keep the pcb complete for the sake of reversability

I recomend taking off those green stocks caps and putting a good ones,PIO if possible. I did that in my Reborn and sound improved and it?s cheap.

Latest posts

Back