cap's in ls125

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RocknBlues said:
thepacifist said:
From the looks of it, Mylar caps...

Any Idea how they compare to the more commonly used caps in the higher end models?

Mylar caps are fine, that's what you get inside the repro Bumblebees on the Gibson Historics! Hmmm :-?

thepacifist said:
JVsearch said:
Mylar caps are fine, that's what you get inside the repro Bumblebees on the Gibson Historics! Hmmm :-?

The green ones?

The caps on the LS-90 in the classifieds look kinda yellow to me, are they the ones you mean? These ones certainly look like mylar caps.

I was talking about mylar caps in general - nothing wrong with 'em at all - and using as evidence the fact that mylar caps are supplied on a guitar that costs several thousand dollars.

The official story is that Gibson measured various old and NOS Bumblebees and had some caps made by Mallory that were to the same specs. They were mylar caps, then these were encased in a plastic body which was the same as the original Sprague 'bees and put into Historic guitars with a tag on the guitar that said "Bumblebee Equipped". The Mallory caps cost about $1.50 each, but the problem is that through a lack of information/increased marketing haze, some people thought the repro Bumblebees were re-creations of the old ones and were disappointed when they were found not to be.

The mylar caps still do the job all right though.

JVsearch said:
The official story is that Gibson measured various old and NOS Bumblebees and had some caps made by Mallory that were to the same specs. They were mylar caps, then these were encased in a plastic body which was the same as the original Sprague 'bees and put into Historic guitars with a tag on the guitar that said "Bumblebee Equipped". The Mallory caps cost about $1.50 each, but the problem is that through a lack of information/increased marketing haze, some people thought the repro Bumblebees were re-creations of the old ones and were disappointed when they were found not to be.

Ah ok ! *grey matter expanding*

Ok finally got some pics of the caps in my LS125F
Can anyone tell me what the Gf stands for on the pots?
P1000165.jpg

P1000164.jpg

can anyone tell me where i can buy some good caps for my LS95F
i dont want to pay what authentic bumblebees go for, althought i wouldnt mind bumblebee repro's

i just want to experiment with caps etc
ive already searched ebay and didnt come up with much
apart from hugely overpriced original bumblebee's lol

yeh so where can i get some good bumblebee repro caps.

and im in Australia if that helps.

dalemajd said:
i dont want to pay what authentic bumblebees go for, althought i wouldnt mind bumblebee repro's

You could try other PIO caps. I haven't checked on Aussie ebay but will do it later today......will come back if something's worth the attention.

On another note, Im actually looking to buy a LS95F. Most here have hugely recommended it but another review from you won't harm ! :)

thepacifist said:
dalemajd said:

You could try other PIO caps. I haven't checked on Aussie ebay but will do it later today......will come back if something's worth the attention.

On another note, Im actually looking to buy a LS95F. Most here have hugely recommended it but another review from you won't harm ! :)

definately get it man

amazing guitar for the money, definately the best $1000AUD i ever spent
that is dirt cheap for a great les paul

heres a demo that i just recorded with a BYOC Fuzz through a Hot Rod Deluxe with Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

the recording quality is a bit crappy but u get the general jist of this beauty's tone

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Dale+Majid/track/Fuzz+Demo

dalemajd said:

The advice above about using some other paper in oil caps is good advice, the Russion ones can usually be had pretty cheap.

I'm not sure there are any true bumblebee repros? No, actually here are some:

http://www.ezramusicshop.com/pd-1956-60-bumblebee-repro-capacitors-pair-022uf-400v-pio.cfm

But I have to say that these will contain the same Russian paper in oil caps that you can find on ebay, without the striped plastic outside bit. RS Guitarworks also carries these and I'm sure a few others do too.

Try searching worldwide on ebay for "Sprague" this usually turns up some Vitamin Q's and other cheaper ones as well as vintage used Bees.

JVsearch said:
dalemajd said:

The advice above about using some other paper in oil caps is good advice, the Russion ones can usually be had pretty cheap.

I'm not sure there are any true bumblebee repros? No, actually here are some:

http://www.ezramusicshop.com/pd-1956-60-bumblebee-repro-capacitors-pair-022uf-400v-pio.cfm

But I have to say that these will contain the same Russian paper in oil caps that you can find on ebay, without the striped plastic outside bit. RS Guitarworks also carries these and I'm sure a few others do too.

Try searching worldwide on ebay for "Sprague" this usually turns up some Vitamin Q's and other cheaper ones as well as vintage used Bees.

Shop here for caps. This is the maker of the caps you referenced.

http://stores.ebay.com/Luxe-Guitars?_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/1956-60-Bumblebee-REPRO-Capacitors-Pair-022uF-400v-PIO_W0QQitemZ290356048231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item439a91b167 (bumblebees)

Latest posts

Back