can a 1983 ls80 have a 3 piece back?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bluethird " contradiction in terms" that is exactly why I asked the question? " ls80 or ls60" ----- the 3 pc back is a big contradiction. I will load up some more photos, but I am telling you, ( its got a 18deg. headstock, and had F-E-B,before the refret, is that not a ls80?) One other thing the neck is not like my 1980 ls80 ( my 1980 is fat , not so big like a 1958, but a fat 1959) this 1983 has a 1960 slim neck? looks like a nitro finish, I will test for the nitro, and load up more photos. buy the way i got it off ebay about 2 weeks ago, i think it was only up for a couple of hours, b-i-n $550 included free shipping, he had it listed as a ls50 - go figure.

My 1983 LS80 also has a slimmer neck than my other earlier ones.....all others I have are pre 1982 and chunkier necks....more 50's style...I believe the older ls80's were supposed to be more a "58" model.

Benrod, I'm not trying to get at you. All I was saying is that in my opinion it's too early for you ? or anyone else ??to conclude that on the balance of probabilities your guitar is an LS80 with a three-piece back.

I really don't consider myself any sort of expert among the people here, and know that I never will be, but I am prepared to stand up and say that purely as matter of logic, common sense and sound critical thinking there's nothing like enough evidence here.

Added to that, there's so little certainty about 1983 Love Rocks that it's in nobody's interest to come to that particular conclusion, and therefore throw out one of the few certainties we do have, until all of the other possibilities have been exhausted.

In this particular case, at least in my opinion, there needs to be a considerably higher level of proof than there normally does.

It's entirely possible that everything you're saying is true but that a full set of photos will reveal something that points in an entirely different direction.

Finally, from the way you framed your first post (with an emphasis on US$300 difference in price between an LS60 and an LS80, and the implication that you're planning to sell) there does seem to be at least a possibility that what you're hoping for here is to maximise the resale value and get to the LS80 conclusion asap.

I have no problem with that whatsoever, but the forum clearly has to take a wider view.

BlueThird, Your right , I understand, maybe there is someting I am missing, I will post a bunch more photos. I also had no idea that 1983 was a big year, turning point in the tokai spec's.

It's not that much of a crazy idea that an LS-60 body ended up getting finished with an LS-80 neck is it?

These things do happen in factories where humans work! :lol:

To be honest I think Tokai were doing A LOT of experimenting with the LS80 from around '83-85 trying to get the best balance of features for a reduced price.
For example a 1985 LS80 has a 2 piece back,57 PAF p'ups,a Laminate top and no fret edge binding.
From 83 til 85 I think there was a lot of experimenting and refining going on...there are LS80's with and without fret edge binding...solid tops AND laminates.
My 84 (IMHO) was the template for what was to come...it has a Laminate top..no fret edge binding and a 2 piece back.
I'm sure that this is what Tokai intended the model to become coz that's pretty close to what evolved into the LS90 series.

greco_burst said:
Here is some info from Japan guys fantastic collection...

1983 LS-60
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1983TokaiLS60.html

1985 TLS-80 (special?)
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1985TokaiLS80.html

1984 TLS-50 (with surprise feature)
http://www.k4.dion.ne.jp/~yjibika/en_1984TokaiLS50.html

These probably don't really help much, but, there are some really good bargains, or suprises is what I am getting at.

And here is a 1983 LS-80 (back to the subject)
http://guitarsjapan.com/1983_Tokai_LS-80_Love_Rock_CHS.html
From Andrew's collection?

regards,
Mick

Oh I just realized....when I said 'from Andrew's collection?" i did not mean collection of guitars, but rather his collection of leeched pics from various stores, like a photo of my Bacchus BTL-54 that he leeched from the store owner without permission... :roll:

Mick

Latest posts

Back