Brown case for ES100NR. Is this rare??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I also never seen any brown case. I use a brown Gator to carry mine as I prefer Lifton style ones.

I agree. I also never seen any brown case. I use a brown Gator to carry mine as I prefer Lifton style ones.
luis, thank you so much for your information.
Have you also Tokai ES?

But you have a brown one so it must not only be black ones.
I can understand very well your strong desire for an original vintage brown case. A blonde guitar looks so beautiful in a case with a pink lining.

With my brown case here now, I understand the argument that the SA-150 shouldn't be all black. If so, please find a brown case other than mine. That's also the gist of this thread.

However, I think it is extremely difficult in practice. It was the first time for me in the last 40 years. At the time, I think it's reasonable to assume that the first owner specially ordered an up-charge brown exterior and pink lining special SA-150.

I'm wondering if it was a short lived case that was phased out almost as soon as it was introduced?

I am saying that because I just noticed the other day that the pink lined Springy case was phased out by the end of 1981. It is in the 1981 flat top catalog and by the Spring 1982 catalog the case was changed and that one seems to disappear.

Scan 15.jpeg

From what I have seen, the ES models were introduced in the 1981 model year. So maybe they were an option that first year then vanished? Obviously they didn't make the 1981 arch top catalog.

No doubt it is rare.

I'm wondering if it was a short lived case that was phased out almost as soon as it was introduced?

I am saying that because I just noticed the other day that the pink lined Springy case was phased out by the end of 1981. It is in the 1981 flat top catalog and by the Spring 1982 catalog the case was changed and that one seems to disappear.

View attachment 8562

From what I have seen, the ES models were introduced in the 1981 model year. So maybe they were an option that first year then vanished? Obviously they didn't make the 1981 arch top catalog.

No doubt it is rare.
Thank you so much,Sigmania.
Very important information.

You’re welcome. It’s just a puzzle piece and may not fit, but it may in part explain why that one you have is so rare.

And no idea why the change in cases? I had assumed the Springy one changed because of the logo, but it looks like it was discontinued before Springys were. At least that one style of case with the storage compartment at the end.

I don’t know. Maybe someone else knows?

I love the little stuff about Tokai like this. So many changes in the 1981/82/83 period.

Thank you for your many hints on the mystery of my brown case.

The specifications must have been changed at a dizzying pace.

And at the same time, we can certainly guess that there were also a lot of irregular ones.

This is the interesting thing about vintage Tokai.

Yep. I was trying to figure out Tokai Humbuckers there for a while. There was a period where there LS50 I think it was had 4 different pickups between model year 1981 and the end of 1982. Head spinning changes.

I'm not sure what kind of policy Tokai had regarding the selection of pickups. There are dizzying changes as you say.

In the catalog, it is written what kind of personality pickups are installed, but in reality, it has changed a lot.

I think there was a policy in Greco at the same time. I think the super real era is the best. I think the DRY-Z based on PU-2, produced with Mr. Takano involved, is truly a masterpiece. I love my 1980 SA-1200 with this pickup, and the sound of this guitar is as great as my real 1959 ES-335TD.

Your Gibson 59' 335 should have PAF's. The Holy Grail of humbuckers. They are worth a small fortune all by themselves. And the tone I chase. I have never heard real PAF other than on videos. Do the 80' DRY-Z sound like the Gibson PAF's? Have you played a LS with the Goto "Patent Applied For" with the D stamp? That is what is in my 1981 LS-60 and they sound amazing.

I can understand very well your strong desire for an original vintage brown case. A blonde guitar looks so beautiful in a case with a pink lining.

With my brown case here now, I understand the argument that the SA-150 shouldn't be all black. If so, please find a brown case other than mine. That's also the gist of this thread.

However, I think it is extremely difficult in practice. It was the first time for me in the last 40 years. At the time, I think it's reasonable to assume that the first owner specially ordered an up-charge brown exterior and pink lining special SA-150.
I am very interested in getting a Tokai case for my 1981 ES. I want a brown one, but would be very happy to have a black in good condition. I don't speak Japanese so I don't know how to shop in the Japan market for one. Mine came in a different case. If you see one from a reputable dealer for sale, I would be very grateful if you could help me buy it.

Your Gibson 59' 335 should have PAF's. The Holy Grail of humbuckers. They are worth a small fortune all by themselves. And the tone I chase. I have never heard real PAF other than on videos. Do the 80' DRY-Z sound like the Gibson PAF's? Have you played a LS with the Goto "Patent Applied For" with the D stamp? That is what is in my 1981 LS-60 and they sound amazing.
As you say, the 1959 ES-335TD with the real PAF is definitely the holy grail in the history of the electric guitar. I also owned a 1964 Cherry 335, but I knew 1964 couldn't win 1959, so I gave it up. The year of 1959 feels like magic.

As for your question about DRY-Z, I think it is the best pickup that reproduces the harmonic, plump sound of a real PAF. Neither Seymour Duncan nor DiMarzio can win, this is my true thought.

Mr. Takano should truly be called a pick-up meister. The Z-stamped DRY pickup was made less than two years, and in a sense, it is rarer than the real PAF.

Mr. Takano himself lamented that the 1982DRY with stickers had become a completely different thing. The parts are different.

After this, I will upload a you tube showing the wonderfulness of the SA-1200 equipped with DRY-Z.

Please refer to it.

Last edited:
I am very interested in getting a Tokai case for my 1981 ES. I want a brown one, but would be very happy to have a black in good condition. I don't speak Japanese so I don't know how to shop in the Japan market for one. Mine came in a different case. If you see one from a reputable dealer for sale, I would be very grateful if you could help me buy it.
OK, I will.

As you say, the 1959 ES-335TD with the real PAF is definitely the holy grail in the history of the electric guitar. I also owned a 1964 Cherry 335, but I knew I1964 couldn't win 1959, so I gave it up. The year 0f 1959 feels like magic.

As for your question about DRY-Z, I think it is the best pickup that reproduces the harmonic, plump sound of a realistic PAF. Neither Seymour Duncan nor DiMaggio can win, this is my true thought.

Mr. Takano should truly be called a pick-up meister. The Z-stamped DRY pickup is less than two years old, and in a sense, it is rarer than the real PAF.

Mr. Takano himself lamented that the 1982DRY with stickers had become a completely different thing. The parts are different.

After this, I will upload a you tube showing the wonderfulness of the SA-1200 equipped with DRY-Z.

Please refer to it.

Please enjoy. This is the Greco Super Real SA-1200 DRY-Z sound.

Last edited:
View attachment 8595View attachment 8596View attachment 8597View attachment 8598View attachment 8601View attachment 8599
This is my 1980 Greco Super Real SA-1200, with DRY-Z, Brazilian RW fingerboard.
She is so sweet.....
That is a beautiful guitar. The finger board looks nice and dark. The only way I would have one. You should do a video comparing these 3 guitars of yours plugged straight into a vintage amp from 59 or thereabouts. 59 ES 335 vs Grecco vs Tokai. You are very blessed to have such nice guitars.

Latest posts

Back