Brass shielding?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
The old catalogues claim that the STs have brass shielding under their pickguards and this is much better than the aluminium shielding used by its competitors at the time. But none of the two STs I have (42 and 100) have this shielding. Was it a plate or tape that might have worn off? Anyone still have it on their pickguard?

Thanks!

9YMplUL.jpg

● Policy 6

This part is not directly visible, but we are looking for the first Shinroku shield plate made in Japan, so we will use the shield that has been written for a long time. When wiring, a separate terminal is provided and soldered so as not to deteriorate the performance of the barrier pull register. Maintenance is also easy. The guitar needs a wiring shield that is so elaborate.

(diagram with grounding plate)

★ ST Shi-2
★ This is the first domestically produced shield freight made by Shinkan.

(diagram without grounding plate)

★ Lee and others
★ P Lumi has no durability

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26211

*Not the best translation, but gives you an idea of what they were saying. 8)

Sigmania said:
Brass ground plate.

2zAdJhZ.jpg

If that’s what they look like then I definitely don’t have them. It’s interesting because (1) the codes on my body and neck match (2) my soon to arrive ST 100 has untouched soldering too. I guess the brass plates were misplaced? It would be easy enough to just replace the original in case of damage too, I guess. So who knows.

I haven’t signed up with a hosting site so can’t upload pics but you can see them on my website here - https://www.siavintageguitars.com/tokai-st-42

Do all your early STs have them?

Thanks,
Sia

Hi Sia,

I have never seen an ST without the ground plate. Even the ST42s had them. It was a major innovation for Tokai and selling feature of their ST guitars and promoted in their marketing.

Detailed pictures would help us unwind this mystery. It is free to join imgur and setting up an account is super easy.

Seems really weird that you now have 2 Tokai STs with no ground plate. Did you get them form the same seller?

Image of pristine new wiring for a Springy from the 1979 catalog.

The first domestically produced brass shield plate. Stable shielding effect for a long time Demonstrate. When wiring, variable To prevent the performance of the sister (variable resistor) from deteriorating due to heat during soldering work. A separate terminal is provided for the ST series and soldered to it. Therefore, maintenance The tone selector switch is a 3-stage switch. Adopted. Of course, '54 Strat halftone Is extremely easy to issue. The setting can be set quickly, and it will not fall out during the performance. (newly developed, 3 steps, 5 positions switch.

YUWw1Ga.png

Sigmania said:
Image of pristine new wiring for a Springy from the 1979 catalog.

The first domestically produced brass shield plate Stable shielding effect for a long time Demonstrate. When wiring, variable To prevent the performance of the sister (variable resistor) from deteriorating due to heat during soldering work. A separate terminal is provided for the ST series and soldered to it. Therefore, maintenance The tone selector switch is a 3-stage switch. Adopted. Of course, '54 Strat halftone Is extremely easy to issue. Half bo The setting can be set quickly, and it will not fall out during the performance. Hmm (newly developed, 3 steps, 5 positions switching switch

YUWw1Ga.png

Oh wait a second, now that I saw it on the guitar I see its only under the pots and nowhere else (I thought it was a large plate even around the PUs). Both my guitars have this plating around the pots :) Sorry about that!

Hi guys,

From what I can tell all Springy, SilverStar and Goldstar up to 1985 had this brass plate.
Its official Tokai Part Number is S-155 and cost 500yen
It came in 2 versions. The first didnt have the "shoulder" cut out and was used mainly on the 1977-1978 Springys.
In 1978 the more common 2nd version came out as the bodies were shaped with a shoulder in the control cavity.
I have a photo with both styles together but cant get this forum to take it easily

regards
Peter mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

From what I can tell all Springy, SilverStar and Goldstar up to 1985 had this brass plate.
Its official Tokai Part Number is S-155 and cost 500yen
It came in 2 versions. The first didnt have the "shoulder" cut out and was used mainly on the 1977-1978 Springys.
In 1978 the more common 2nd version came out as the bodies were shaped with a shoulder in the control cavity.
I have a photo with both styles together but cant get this forum to take it easily

regards
Peter mac
Thansk for the added information, very useful!

Latest posts

Back