Bought another one!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFanJpn

Reaction score
I love my ES130 so much, that when I was out checking out the Golden Week sales here in Tokyo a couple days ago, I stumbled across a pair of ES120's (one cherry and one sunburst) and ended up going home with the cherry one. Except for the color, position markers and pickguard, they seem to be identical. I am really hooked on these guitars now. I put Fralins in the 130, but a buddy of mine put Duncan Antiquities in his 130 and I like them so much that I'm going to put them in the 120.

We spent some time A/Bing a couple of 130's with a Gibby 335 yesterday, and as much as I love the sound of the 335, the 130 is still the winner for me. I'm hooked!

Bill

Ignore the mess in the background. The flash unfortunatelywashed out most of the flame, but they both have nicely flamed tops.
sisters1.jpg

Hi Bill! So we meet again (RF Board).

Sweet guitar. I hope I'll be just as hooked next week when I get mine.

Skybone said:
Sweet.

This Tokai lark is addictive! ;)

You're certainly right about that. We might have to start a support group for people who can't stop buying the things!

Bill

johan said:
Hi Bill! So we meet again (RF Board).

It's a small world! I guess we have similar tastes.

Sweet guitar. I hope I'll be just as hooked next week when I get mine.

I can't imagine anyone not loving these guitars. Good luck with your new guitar. Which one are you getting?

Bill

FordFanJpn said:
johan said:
I can't imagine anyone not loving these guitars. Good luck with your new guitar. Which one are you getting?

Bill

ES-120 in vintage natural.
335->Zendrive->'66 Super Reverb next week. :wink:

johan said:

That combination should sound really good! One thing you will want to try is adjusting the height of the pickups. On mine the pickups were pretty high so the guitar was quite loud, but the tone was a bit sterile and brittle sounding. I dropped them down a ways and the tone got much better. Not as loud of course, but more harmonically complex and rich sounding.

Bill

johan said:

One other thing I forgot to mention. These guitars when new seem to be a little bit bright and hard sounding, but they mellow with use. I've only had my 130 a short time and it's already sounding better. So when you get your guitar, be sure to play it a lot! :D

Bill

My God Bill,it seems you are in love with Tokai 8) .Good catch and lovely guitars.You're getting my GAS for a ES special model more and more... :roll:

luis said:
My God Bill,it seems you are in love with Tokai 8) .Good catch and lovely guitars.You're getting my GAS for a ES special model more and more... :roll:

Thanks for the compliment. I do seem to have become infatuated with the Tokai guitars, or at least the 335 version. I'm planning to take some pics of the two Tokai's together with my 335 and 345. I'll post a pic later to help with your GAS. :wink:

Bill

Latest posts

Back