Are Marshall amps any good?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marshall is good for nothing except as something for people in leather trousers to use to prop up their flying V's

That's only reason I got one, not that I have any leather trousers, however the older I get, the more I find myself wanting some - is that normal?

Hearing an LP through a cranked Marshall stack was why I wanted a guitar in the first place. While there have been some good ones and dodgy ones, they all have a certain something to them.

Buddy Guy got round this difficult decision at his London gig this week by using both! It looked like he had a Bassman (could have been a Blues DeVille, I suppose), & a Marshall head with a 4x12 cab. And he seemed to be controlling the volume changes (from very quiet to very loud) entirely from his guitar, no pedals I could see except for a wah.

He was kind enough to take a stroll up to the balcony to pose for a pic with his blonde maple neck Strat - which I assume must be a new colour option for his Fender signature Strat.

Image001c.jpg

Marshall amp designs are great!. Some of the best rock/blues tones ever, from hendrix to page to slash, were achieved with marshall amps....

Unfortunately, these days......they kinda suck :|

Their amps are overpriced and their newer designs cant compare with the old plexis and original metal-face marhsalls. They're using cheaper materials, and are sacrificing quality for profit margins.

If you want a kickass amp and you like marshall tones then you should definitely check out some of the marshall clones out there. IMO, ceriatone amps are godly, and cost a fraction of what an original marshall equivalent would. They're also hand wired (as opposed to marshalls PCB circuitry) and use better components. And as if that wasnt good enough, you can even have your own mods done by the ceriatone guys!. I got a JTM45 from them back around christmas, with an added master volume and it's insane!. The assembled electronics, (everything in the head, except the enclosure) and shipping from malaysia cost me 600E. A marshall reissue would cost me close to 2k here!. They can do cabinets as well, but it ups the shipping cost quite a bit.

Summary!.
Marshall amps good!
Marshall bad!
Ceriatone good! ugh ugh!

Latest posts

Back