2008 ES-Custom (ES-205) Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pickups seem to be a little brighter than my others, particularly the bridge. Bridge tone on 2 or 3 seems to be roughly equivalent to 5 or 6 on the others, especially compared to a real 59 PAF. Of course, there are differences in pots, wood, etc. All of this is being done at relatively low volume at home. Vintage pickups don’t all sound the same anyway. Again, bridge measures 8.39.

Sorry. I forgot that you had mentioned that the bridge was not as hot.

Custom wound?

Maybe the pickups are part of the custom order or added cost?

Preserving the pics of the other example.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/tokai-es-custom-335-love-rock-ever-seen-or-heard-of.418927/

K9LE8eP.jpg

0Kl2l2k.jpg

5gyt7sD.jpg

Vn9Pxzn.jpg

jVNuFfe.jpg

I have also found an old thread from 2008 from The Gear Page about Tokai using fret edge binding. It linked to a long gone eBay listing of what might have been my guitar. Evidently a seller named Hisashi had some Tokai ES guitars for sale at that time. It was listed for an ask of $1750, which is at least $2400 in today’s dollars. One of the responders to the original post posted this:

“That particular Tokai is from a limited run of Love Rock models...you'll find other MIJ Tokai 335s in the range of $1,200 to $1,550 from the same seller...they're basically the exact same guitar without the fret-edge binding and "Love Rock" script on the headstock...you'd still be getting a handmade guitar with a nitro finish, long neck tenon, lightweight aluminum tailpiece and excellent hardware and pups...I've had dozens of Gibbys over the years...most of them were great guitars...the Tokai pups sound as good as any of the Gibbys I owned...in fact the guitar matches or surpasses the Gibsons I've owned in every department.”

Unfortunately, that post had no detailed information and the photos of the guitar are gone, but seems to confirm what we’re thinking.

Reegular Tokai ES model do not have fret edge binding mirroring Gibbo ES-335s so it makes sense. Ony special runs and old high end models had it.
The higher speced ES model I have knowledge was a beautiful ES-420 on7off made for a guitar show i was offered by Adachi-san himself back in 2004. It was not cheap but the guitar deseved it. I dis not got it but I missed that one on and on.....

Found this post from 2008. Previous post in thread described the eBay listing about one of these. Unfortunately, the poster hasn’t been seen here since 2011.

My understanding is that this is part of a very short run of custom ES-style guitars with uprated spec - high grade woods etc - and a fatter neck profile. I have one on order - hope it's worth the long wait.

Found the post when he received the guitar!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11782

His dealer told him that there were only six of these made and had upgraded woods and a thicker neck.

Congratulations on finding that info! Very cool.

I think the total of 6 units claim by richmca is still unsubstantiated? Could be more. We have now seen 3 and he claimed he saw 2 in addition to his own. Possible, but also likely to be higher than that in my opinion based on my experience of how often we see other models that were made in large quantities and rarely surface. The 20 or 28 number could be more accurate? Will be interesting to see if more pop up.

Would be very interesting to track down one of the other examples and see if it has a different number similar to your "12 - 20". Like "8 - 20" or something. That would be strong evidence of the total number of units made I think.

And seems like it is the neck construction that really sets these guitars apart from other high end ES models (fretboard wood, fret edge binding FEB, thicker profile, "Love Rock" script).

So far you have found that this model is:

labeled "ES Custom"
“ES 205 CM” in pencil in cavity
limited 2008 run
flame maple top, sides & back
3 colors (red stain SR, vintage natural VNT, and sunburst SB),
possibly Honduras rosewood fret board
fret edge binding
fatter neck profile
mahogany neck
different resistance on the pickups than typical Keiyo MK2 sets

From that other thread:

richmca said:
I'm not sure about the neck pickup - seems a bit underwhelming, but the bridge is wonderfully uncouth.

richmca said:
All I know is it's a short run - apparently - of top-spec ES with Honduras rosewood and mahogany, fatter neck profile (although it's not all that fat in my opinion), and the Love Rock headstock. The label inside reads ES-Custom. I'll post pics as soon as I can - in a couple of days.

richmca said:
As far as I know from my supplier, there are only 6 of these, and since I've only seen two others for sale, that probably means the varnish is still drying on the other three.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11782

SHkFO6c.jpg

jWfKWbd.jpg

OrirSFH.jpg

Z3cJcrt.jpg

dFyw8e8.png

S8NHbAe.jpg

Would be very interesting to track down one of the other examples and see if it has a different number similar to your "12 - 20". Like 8 - 20 or something. That would be strong evidence of the total number of units made I think.

glenngross said:
From what I have learned here, the pickups appear to be from Keiyo, but the bridge measures 8.39 not the overwound 11 or so that I’ve read about, and the neck measures 7.50. Presumably this and the Love Rock decal were part of the ordered specifications.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19383

karppi said:
I think there is at least two kind of sets made by Keiyo, which are much hotter than Gotoh made mk2s on some premium series models.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=130779

Very cool. Saving the pics.

Probably won't last long.

Those marks would buff out easily I would think.

SN 0817789

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.33 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.55.52 PM.png
    536.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.04 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.08 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.15 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.19 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.29 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 9.56.45 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Interesting. Three hours driving time from me. If only it were sunburst. I was playing mine yesterday, and still would love to know more of the origin of this run.

As far as we know a japanese guitarshop ordered some special run with blocks around the time. You can search here the forum and would found the info. Tokai would be open to shops/distributors to make some special features if they order a run.

I do love ES models, they are scarce than LS and it is a all around guitar, you can play a lot of music styles easily. Richie Blackmore has a cherry 335 after switching from a cheap Hofner solidbody. Before usins 70s strats....

Something to share with you. After searching in my old archives I found Tokai offered me to build a Solid ES top called ES-420, a sort of high grade ES resembling LS320 models but semihollow. I don´t recall why I finally did not order it, money issue maybe. I have seen one similar later on Reverb at a high asked price....

Back