2005 MIJ Goldtop.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
leadguitar_323 said:
Oh is that all.... :eek: :lol:

Mick

Yes, it confused me a bit too!! I'm going to have to go home and read my manual! All I've ever done with my camera is point and shoot, but those pics do inspire me to put a bit more effort in!

Natural light in the UK in winter might be a bit of an issue though!

JohnA
If you give me the Make & Model of your camera I can download the manual & give you the camera setup for your specific camera to get those shots. Cloudy days make perfect diffusers of natural light for close ups. If the light is too harsh from the window just put up a white bed sheet or cheap frosted shower curtain from Wall Mart or the Dollar store. You don't need fancy expensive equipment. If you want a leather background just have someone hold a leather jacket behind the guitar as a back drop on the close ups.

Toker said:
JohnA said:
leadguitar_323 said:
Oh is that all.... :eek: :lol:

Mick

Yes, it confused me a bit too!! I'm going to have to go home and read my manual! All I've ever done with my camera is point and shoot, but those pics do inspire me to put a bit more effort in!

Natural light in the UK in winter might be a bit of an issue though!

JohnA
If you give me the Make & Model of your camera I can download the manual & give you the camera setup for your specific camera to get those shots. Cloudy days make perfect diffusers of natural light for close ups. If the light is too harsh from the window just put up a white bed sheet or cheap frosted shower curtain from Wall Mart or the Dollar store. You don't need fancy expensive equipment. If you want a leather background just have someone hold a leather jacket behind the guitar as a back drop on the close ups.

That would be much appreciated!! it's a Sony DSC-H2 hers a couple of my pics, not a patch on yours though! I normally lies the guitar out in the sun, point and shoot!

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:
Better pic's too

Better than what? They are my standard point-and-shoot's, with an bit of advice from Toker I'm hoping to do better!

I thought they were better than your usual ones and that you'd used tokers advice before taking them :oops:

DaveWW said:
JohnA said:
DaveWW said:
Better pic's too

Better than what? They are my standard point-and-shoot's, with an bit of advice from Toker I'm hoping to do better!

I thought they were better than your usual ones and that you'd used tokers advice before taking them :oops:

Just a natural talent Dave!! Wait 'till you see my next ones :wink:

JohnA said:
DaveWW said:
Better pic's too

No problem. Those are great shots by the way. We'll take it to the next level. You have a good camera to work with. Just downloaded the manual. Let me read it & I'll get back to you. Just remember that direct sunlight is too harsh. Clouds diffuse the light & perfect for close ups. Sheer curtains in front of a window on a sunny day works great too. It's all about controlling the light without expensive studio equipment to get that amateur pro looking shot & create some art.

here's an average shot for me; outdoors, partly cloudy/haze, in the shadow of my garage, digital, no film here .......

......... this one actually sucks because the guitars are facing a white garage, which is bad for casting reflections on the subject; obviously ...........
shootingoutdoors-1.jpg

.......... another one, not facing garage, same conditions otherwise & never owned a meter; sounds familiar :lol: ............
Grecogoldtop11.jpg

MIJvintage said:
never owned a meter; sounds familiar :lol: ............

No camera meter, no multi meter. :eek:

I hope your car has a speedo-meter.

:wink:

MIJ Vintage,
Those are good shots. You just have to take advantage of the camera's internal light meter like the pro's do. Right now it's metering the entire scene. You need to meter the subject. You can take advantage of that white garage door to reflect natural light. Angle the guitar just right so that you don't get unwanted reflections like JohnA's back door below the tail piece. Has the potential to be a great shot. Take advantage of the camera's optics to blurr out the background while the subject is sharp. Use the smallest aperature number your lens will allow. F2.8 in JohnA's case.
Here's an example of a spontanious shot. Guests at the house were freaking out at the spider web in the bushes. Whipped out the camera. No setup. Everything on auto. I took advantage of the optics to blurr the background to frame the subject. All I did was max out the zoom. The aperature was automatically set to F5.6. But I didn't think about that. I just wanted to take the shot with a blurred background. When you zoom in less light hits the sensor so the camera opens up the aperature to compensate & that blurrs the background. A photographer will just set the camera to aperature priority & control aperature for the desired effect. If I didn't have a zoom I would have done that. It's controlling the depth of field. I promise to keep this simple. Trust me.
20080901_0049.jpg

MIJvintage said:
LOL, yes the (Greco) gold top is a bit green :oops: but it is a 'light' meter that was spoken of, not a color meter :wink:

Adjust the camera's White Balance. It's probably set to AWB (auto white balance). That's why the colors are off. Set it to Daylight or Cloudy & then they will look their natural color. Togps used Photoshop to post process the picture.

Latest posts

Back