2005 LS-150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulski

Reaction score
What do folks think about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251128843666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I wonder if it's a solid flame top ??? I have a 2005 LS-150 MIJ and it has a solid flame top. I don't personally mind veneer but it's a nice bonus for someone who just can't live on this earth knowing their guitar has it.

If it's anything like my 2005, it's a killer git.

Get the seller to get you a picture of the inside of the pup holes so you can see the cap, kinda like this(see pics). Then look for the grain lines go from the bottom of the cap all the way through to the top, and onwards.

2affvt.jpg

swtrt5.jpg

Cool, thanks for that post. Presumably a veneered top would be much thinner as well or is it made with a thicker piece of maple that's been veneered for a nice finish?

Anyway, for some reason the buy it now price just went from ?900 to ?1,400!!!! No way it's worth that, I bought a new 150 for ?700 just last week.

Well tokai's veneers are razor thin, the maple top would be the same spec as a solid one i would think, just plain maple with a 1 mm or so flame or quilted veneer on top.

I think that seller's has just priced himself out of a possible sale.

Well, it's a confusing system, i think that the u.k. models are different in where a LS-150 F means a solid flamed maple top but the japanese non export models a LS-150 F means a solid maple top + maple veneer. They word it in the catalog as "flamed maple + maple top" which i guess means flamed maple veneer on top of maple cap. I have to admit i've only gleaned this infomation from this site, and its members. Here's a link to the info i got

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This was a few years ago i believe.

brokentoes said:
They word it in the catalog as "flamed maple + maple top" which i guess means flamed maple veneer on top of maple cap.

Yes that sounds logical for me

brokentoes said:
I wonder if it's a solid flame top ??? I have a 2005 LS-150 MIJ and it has a solid flame top. I don't personally mind veneer but it's a nice bonus for someone who just can't live on this earth knowing their guitar has it.

A special run of LS150 with solid flamed top was made during 2005/2006.

I have had one and it is a delicious guitar, I have bought it to a member of the forum and sold it to a french guy.
The only reason I sold it is I have enough lp in my gear.

321_1313146288.jpg

Tokai calls this finish "violin", under different lighting conditions it can look different, with a touch more red coming through the burst.

2ih2rcw.jpg

I tend to like plaintops, usually a nice iced tea or honey burst type finish suits my eye but i do like my flametop. I think its because it seems very non-uniform and one of a kindish. Your old guitar was a sweet looking axe as well.

Love that flame and grain patterning on both of those....I've always found the vertical graining to be a nice compliment to the horizontal flamework like this

Bacchus19.jpg

le juge said:
brokentoes said:

A special run of LS150 with solid flamed top was made during 2005/2006.

I have had one and it is a delicious guitar, I have bought it to a member of the forum and sold it to a french guy.
The only reason I sold it is I have enough lp in my gear.

321_1313146288.jpg

How many were made for this special run ?!?

Thanks !! Merci.

Latest posts

Back