1991 Tokai Love Rock Goldtop MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throstur

Reaction score
Hi I have been a member for some years but haven?t posted for a long time. I have been offered a 1991 Tokai Love Rock Goldtop MIJ. I haven?t seen the guitar yet but I have known the owner for a long time and trust him. He says it is a fantastic guitar in very good used condition, some buckle rash e.t.c. but no abuse or anything serious.

Thougt I would ask around here before I go to see it (tomorrow). Where there many price categories of the Goldtops this year? This one has humbuckers, not P90?s. Please, if you know something that would help me to decide if to buy it, or how much it would be fair to pay, it would be greatly appreciated. The owner mentioned something like 14-1500 USD.

(some of these might or might not apply depending upon confirmation of the year)

Oval sticker with 60,90,100, etc at base of neck

Number stamped on the last fret of the neck

Remove the pickups and photograph the body cavities for markings

Photograph the bottoms of the pickups

Markings on underside of tailpiece and bridge

Serial number photo

Full front photos including headstock

Full back side photos with detail of the body to see how many pieces it is

I know it's alot of forensic details but it'll help to determine what it is. ANY photos would be a good start.

You should be able to see photos if you follow this link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3592760186483.2161366.1497773299&type=3
It can be clearly seen on the photos that the numbers S-45 and TSL-560 are stamped on the inside of the neck cavity with some kind of black ink.

This guitar feels and play's great and the build quality is very good in my opinion. The strange thing is that I can not find a single evidence on the Internet about Tokai model numbers like these. S-45? TSL560? As far as I can see the model numbers on the Tokai?s are like TLS or LS 60, 80, 100 and 200 and more. One other thing I find strange is that the Tokai Goldtops that I can find on the Internet all have P90?s. I haven?t found one Goldtop with hum buckers on the net.

The serial number is 9102408 and can been clearly seen on the pics. Is it possible that this is a 1989 model, not a 1991 as I am told? It looks as the serial number has been painted or stamped on. It is not stamped in to the wood.

I measured the headstock angle and it is very close to 18? as far as I can see.

The neck pickup is obviously a SD, probably a newish Custom II but the bridge pickup seems a lot older, there are some numbers and some handwriting on the underside. The owner say?s it?s a SD JB. He also say?s that these are not the original pickups, have to ask him about the original pickups.

Help would be appreciated because I really like this guitar.
:roll:

it seems a ls55, two piece (if not three) piece body. Nice guitar but price in my opinion is too high. i would pay 800 USD max...
imho :-?

Yes lets do that, you are probably on the right track though. :-?

If this is the bottom of the line the quality is amazing! I wonder how the top of the line models are if this is the case.

I had a Tokai LS 60 from 1980-something few years back, it was not as good as this one.

bluesyrat said:
I think you have to be logged in to view facebook contents...
You are probably right, sorry guy?s. Here is a link to Photobucket that should work: http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w393/throsing/Facebook/Tokai%20Love%20Rock%20Goldtop%201991/

throstur said:
bluesyrat said:
I think you have to be logged in to view facebook contents...
You are probably right, sorry guy?s. Here is a link to Photobucket that should work: http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w393/throsing/Facebook/Tokai%20Love%20Rock%20Goldtop%201991/

I was logged into FB when I tried to open the link. Your new link above works fine. Nice guitar... I too read it to be an LS-55-O.

The bridge pickup might well be an SD Antiquity .... see here:

http://www.patsguitars.com/images/auctions/voodoo9/antiq1.jpg

I agree that $1400 - $1500 too high. In this economy, I'd figure at no more than $1000 (if that much).

marcusnieman said:
...Nice guitar... I too read it to be an LS-55-O.

I agree that $1400 - $1500 too high.

That's golden age LS-80 (bit knocked about) price IMO.

But there's a trustworthy source and the ability to play the guitar before buying. That's definitely worth something, and if it's that good, well it's your call.

It has a two piece neck - you can see the extra piece at the heel.

JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:
...Nice guitar... I too read it to be an LS-55-O.
I agree that $1400 - $1500 too high.
That's golden age LS-80 (bit knocked about) price IMO.
But there's a trustworthy source and the ability to play the guitar before buying. That's definitely worth something, and if it's that good, well it's your call.
It has a two piece neck - you can see the extra piece at the heel.

Thanks, I agree with you on all issues. It has a two piece neck indeed, and a two piece back.
Pros: It is a VERY good player with hardly no fret wear. I am more of a player than a collector, so this is definitely a big plus. It is in overall very good condition and has not been abused. I have a Faber tailpiece and a Faber bridge with brass saddles that fit this guitar. The headstock angle is 18?.
Cons: It does not come with a case. And of course, it is a bottom of the line model.
The feel and sound of this guitar is not bottom line anything though, it is great and raises the question if the more expensive models are indeed better players?

Hi throstur,
you're clearly under GAS attack! :lol:
Only be careful to pay the right amount for that chick...
no one refund you for extra money paid...
cheers
:wink:

bluesyrat said:
Hi throstur,
you're clearly under GAS attack! :lol:
Only be careful to pay the right amount for that chick...
no one refund you for extra money paid...
cheers
:wink:

Thanks bluesyrat for your wise advise. No, I have decided not to pay more than 800 USD for this guitar. Thank you all for helping me to identify this guitar.

However it would be nice to hear about it if somebody here decides to sell a higher end model of a Tokai, say LS-80 or LS-100. I might be interested if it is a good player and not abused. A P-90 Godtop would come in strong. As a matter of fact I own a like new, fantastic specimen of a Gibson 61 reissue which I would be ready to part with for the right Tokai.
:)

The way the higher end models play will be very similar to the Gold Top. The difference will be in the attention to details, finish and components.

The GT looks absolutely great, I will definitely go for it at the right price!

Back