• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1985 Tokai LS-60 Solid flame/quilt top

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverkw

Reaction score
1985 Tokai LS-60 solid flame/quilt top. $1230 CND paypal'd and shipped in cont' Canada & US (Canada can be a lil cheaper). It comes with a soft gigbag, but will be packaged very securely.

I just decided to let this one go at my cost (import from Japan with taxes and custom, etc) today, because I am getting another Tokai.

The pictures are here:
Ls-60 1985 Photos by silverkw | Photobucket

It's a really nice cherry burst, but the pictures don't show it well. It's very vibrant color and the red burst is not as wide as it seems on some pictures. My crappy camera and iphone couldn't capture the color properly.

It weighs about 4.16KG, with 2 piece center join back and 2 piece sold flame/quilt top, 1 piece neck. Made in 1985 according to serial number, and with a black sticker for the model number 60 on the back of the headstock.

It has a ding on top that was (maybe attempted) repaired around the end strap ping, you can see it in some of the photos. The black dots around arm rest area of the top is natural wood grain, not a ding.

There're a couple of dings through to wood on the back edges, I have taken some pictures, they don't show too well. They are pretty small, and I also got to know that these Tokai have pretty thin finishes. Over all the guitar is in very good condition for its age. There are some photos in my album that show a big worm on the back.

It's is all stock. The bridge pick up cover was long gone and I don't have it. The neck PU is zebra color as well.

The frets have quite a bit life left. It plays well with medium action. There are plenty of pictures in my photobucket album for the fretboard and frets.

Electronics work fine. It's the old Tokai circuit board style.

As for the acoustic sound. I would say that it's got a really balanced and clear sound. It's got a pretty nice snappy attack to it, which is great for hard rock. The pickups are a bit more treble sounding comparing vintage PAF. And both PU's are around 8K, so they are not exactly vintage spec. There are some pictures for these Tokai 57 PAF's.

The only thing I would have replaced would be the bridge. Like many old guitars from that era with ABR-1, the bridge is slightly bent by down pressure, but I think it could still be corrected. I think the previous owner actually tried fixing it as well. But as it is it plays fine.

I'd say this picture resemble the width of the burst properly:
IMG_0030_zps147d1656.jpg

And this one resemble the color the best, although the red burst pattern looks wider than actual:
IMG_0012_zps81ef022d.jpg

Some more pictures:
IMG_0020_zps7aa6f7ed.jpg

IMG_0022_zpsf7f71645.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsbb12f726.jpg

Beautiful! I wonder how many LS60s were made with solid tops? Poly or nitro?

Good luck with the sale!

Sigmania said:
Beautiful! I wonder how many LS60s were made with solid tops? Poly or nitro?

Good luck with the sale!

I haven't seen a solid flame top ls60 before this one.

These are finished with poly, but Tokai finishes are really thin, which helps the overall acoustic sound.

Back